Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Keepers at Home Don't Just Sit Around

After I wrote yesterday's post, I thought about it and I realized that I could probably go all week on the various misconceptions people have about the life of a wife at home. So, I think I will - my first series!

In addition to the folks who think I must be a brainwashed zombie, I've also heard from those who think my life must be nothing but free time. I could go on and on about how it's really not, but as every writing student has ever learned, it is better to show than tell. My camera is down, so no housekeeping photos, but when I saw this Homekeeper's Journal linky over at Christian HomeKeeper Network, I thought it would come in handy.

So, here is my life in a nutshell!

This week in my kitchen - We're going out to dinner one night with a missionary friend who's on furlough, but otherwise I'm cooking every night. I'm also making a big pot of Weed Soup to get us through several lunches, and I'm baking and freezing rhubarb pies for various people. If I can get enough free time, I will be putting up strawberry/rhubarb preserves this weekend.

My gardening thought this week - Gardening has been my challenge for the past 3 years. The first garden was awful. Last year's garden gave out lots of tomatoes, but not much else. This year, I have strawberries which are coming in nicely. I have also planted cherry tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, green and red bell peppers, zucchini and eggplant. So far, everything is still coming along nicely. I'm far enough away from the massive storms to avoid flooding, but close enough to get some good rains that help get it all established.

What I'd like to can, freeze or put up this year - I want to put up as much tomato sauce and juice as I can because I cook with it so often. I also have a recipe for preserving eggplant and I'd like to try that if my eggplant crop works out well.

My plans for my home this summer - Wow! Talk about disruption! The house was a fixer-upper when purchased and I have slated the big job for this summer. I need to refloor and repaint the main living area. I'm already starting to research and plan out that job. Technically, the patio could use some love, too, but I don't know how much I can commit to taking on in one summer.

This absolutely, positively has to be done to my home this year - I am fortunate that I don't really have much real emergency work that HAS to be done. However, one of my screen doors is getting to the point where we can't repair it any more, so that really does need replacing.

So, who wants to take a wild guess as to how much time I spend sitting around staring off into space while I eat my bonbons? ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! I know exactly what you mean about misconceptions of a homemaker! I'm the one everyone calls because, "She's not doing anything anyway!" Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Trish. And yes, I know what you mean. I know some people who think I could be their errand runner since I apparently don't have other work to do.

    ReplyDelete