Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Midweek Links and a Homekeeper's Journal

This week I've been quite busy reading. I'll link to some of the articles here and keep your eyes peeled later in the week for my review of a book that absolutely floored me. I hope that everyone who reads here is having a wonderful and blessed spring!

I started the past week off very well by reading this devotional from Elisabeth Elliot that has been reprinted over at LAF. This reminder of the mystery at the heart of home keeping and mothering was a wonderful read!

I spent much of my professional life working with the disabled, so I found this article about Alzheimer's and God's sovreignty both an encouraging and challenging read. Not only do these folks need the services of those in the paid workforce, but as Christians we need to remember and care for them. They are also children of God and they tend to be very much in need as their conditions tend to isolate them from others.

I don't know how many of you have seen this story, but I was horrified to learn about the family that is keeping their baby's gender a secret. This commentary discusses how they have handled gender roles with their children and I just can't help thinking that they are setting these children up for all kinds of pain down the road. God made us male and female for a reason and I feel so sorry for this child who isn't being allowed to live as God planned for him or her.

And in honor of Memorial Day earlier this week, I found this list of ways that we can minister to military wives very helpful. I have had friend with husbands who served in the armed forces, and I know it meant a lot to them to have their dear friends and sisters in Christ reach out to them while husbands were deployed.

--------------------
And this week, the Homekeeper's Journal is all about summer. Since it's been about 100 degrees here, give or take a degree or two, Summer has been on my mind as well.

During summer, my kitchen ……. gets insanely hot! I'm blessed to have access to a very good farmers' market and my own gardening skills are improving, so we eat a lot of fresh produce and meals that take little stove or oven time.

One of my favorite things about summer is … having fresh berries. I love berries of all kinds and the summer produce season is wonderful to me. I wilt in the heat, so I also relish the summer evenings when it's finally cool enough for me to venture out. I love the long twilight of a sultry summer night.

One of the summer things I could do without …. Mosquitoes and humidity! I live in the South and I have an overabudnance of both. I miss the Blue Ridge where I grew up. Somehow I don't recall it being quite so humid.

A planned summer or take it as it comes? I have a few planned celebrations - a week's vacation in June, graduations, family reunions and such. Mostly I just take the days as they come, though.

Summer meals consist of …… fresh fruit, fresh vegatables, salads, sandwiches, stir frys and occasional forays into grilling.

The last thing on my mind during summer is …… anything that involves using the slow cooker. No heating up the entire house for me, thank you very much. I also tend not to think about my knitting quite so much because the thought of getting cozy with skeins of wool in the middle of a southern summer is almost enough to smother me.

3 comments:

  1. Very insightful post! I didn't know about this devotional by Elisabeth Elliot! She has taught me so much through her ministry! I'm blog hopping and found yours. I'm now following! Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!
    Bonni from http://www.mombyexample.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the news article about the family who didn't want to impose a "gender" on their child Storm and their other children. It is a worry that families think this is a good idea - I wonder what might happen when these children become teenagers and realise what their parents did. God did give us males and females and we should be proud of this. I have nothing to hide about being a girl.

    I like Elisabeth Elliott and have several of her devotionals. I read them from time to time and find her full of wisdom.

    Have a God filled week. And I pray that the weather isn't too hot for you.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so looking forward to summer hitting us here in the Pacific Northwest! It's rainy and cold. I love all the fresh produce in the summer. We're so blessed to have so much of it here. I hadn't heard about the family keeping the children's gender a secret. Now I am off to read that :) Thanks for visiting me :) I love meeting new sisters in Christ!

    Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

    ReplyDelete