Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Midweek Links

I read a lot around the internet and this helps me to organize links. It helps me because I can keep things all in one place, and hopefully anyone reading my blog will find something here, too.

1. I've run into a fair number of friends offline who are excited about the movie Soul Surfer. By now, I imagine most know that the girl whose story is told in the movie is a Christian and I've even seen churches advertising group outings to the movie and Bible studies based upon it. I have nothing against movie outings and I certainly have no problem with Bible study, but I do question whether this movie is the best witness. Stacy McDonald and Carmon Friedrich have written a couple of pieces that really sum up my issues with the movie far better than I could. You can find them here and here.

2. Over at CBMW, this Mother's Day piece manages to celebrate mothers, glorify God and find a reason to reproduce the words of The Battle Hymn of the Republic all in one place. I may be a Southerner born and bred, but that hymn gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

3. My grandmothers taught me how to cook and part of those lessons included learning how to waste nothing of the bounty we have been given. I'm always on the lookout for creative ways to use up my leftovers, and list of ways to cook with leftover ham is going into my recipe binder.

4. A dear friend lost a close family member suddenly this weekend. We have been in touch with this friend, and she is understandably grieving deeply. I've been finding this article very helpful in terms of explaining grief as well as explaining how, as a Christian, to comfort those who are grieving.

5. Last but not least, I found this cooking with cast iron article on the Christian HomeKeeper to be very helpful. I'm a fan of cast iron cookware, especially my old cast iron skillet, and it's good to have the care instructions nicely laid out in one place.

No comments:

Post a Comment