Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Simple Hot Weather Dinner

It's been 90-100 degrees here lately, so the thought of heating up my kitchen just doesn't work for me. Besides, I've noticed that extreme heat has a tendency to lessen one's appetite. So, I went digging through my latest bounty from the garden and from the local farmer's market and went to work creating a very simple dinner for hot days - 3 very easy courses and almost no use of the stove!

Dish 1 - sandwiches
I had some cheese from a local cheesemaker, so I made jalpeno cheddar sandwiches. However, anything will work - peanut butter and jelly, cold cuts, whatever you have on hand.




Dish 2 - Spinach salad with "Summer Dressing"
I made a simple salad of fresh spinach with green onions and a couple of sliced hardboiled eggs (see photo above). This I topped with something my grandmother calls "Summer Dressing." I don't know what is specifically summery about it save that it's quite refreshing in the heat. Here's the recipe for you to enjoy!

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup plain yogurt
Mix these two together, and add sugar and salt to taste. This is also good with just a touch of garlic powder.

Dish 3 - Dessert!
I took the last of my garden strawberries and sprinkled them with powdered sugar. The perfect dessert on a hot late spring night.

Cool, refreshing and it all takes less than 30 minutes. Bon appetit!

Also linked at:


3 comments:

  1. I love when the summer heat hits and we ladies can be creative with not turing the oven on! I love making sandwiches, salads and grilling!

    ~Sarah beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been HOT where we live too. Thanks for the ideas. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy - I have been try to leave a comment for a couple fo days but some reason I am having trouble on some blogs. But finally some success (I'm at work!!). Your salad looked lovely - I love salad and often eat them in winter as well as summer as I love the fresh taste.

    However right now it is cold were I am and i am making soups and stews!! My DH's favourite (he isn't a salad person).

    ReplyDelete