Monday, May 23, 2011

We Gather Together

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
- Matthew 18:20

I spent this past weekend at home with my extended family, and spending time with them as well as going back to my childhood church really renewed me. It was so good to see all of these reminders of the ways in which believers gather.

We gather together....

In church - As we gather in the presence of other believers and come before God to hear His word and respond in worship, something truly special happens. We were made to worship God and glorify Him forever and when we do this together with other believers, we are gathering as spoken of in the Bible and binding ourselves together. When I stand in a truly faithful church and think of all the believers who have come before and all that will come after me, I feel small and yet I swell with joy and awe at the thought of being part of this group of saints who have come before God to worship for centuries.

We gather together...

With family - As we sit down with generations of family to give thanks for our many blessings in life, it is impossible not to feel closer. Taking meals together and giving thanks to God together not only is another way to worship God, but it strengthens the bond of the family every day we do it. It's impossible to walk past the dining room table in my parents' house without hearing in my head the sound of my father saying grace and my grandfather before him.

We gather together...

Husband and wife - As we gather together, just the two of us, we pray and pour out our hearts to God and to each other. By laying our marriage, our hopes, fears and confessions before God, we invite Him into our lives each day. And as we gather in His presence, we are renewed and marriage is strengthened further with each passing day that we have truly gathered togther.

No comments:

Post a Comment