Monday, June 13, 2011

Abide in Christ


Do you ever feel like you spend so much time trying to be that wonderful Proverbs 31 wife that you lose sight of the big picture? After all, being a good wife entails so much. To paraphrase a bit, the Proverbs 31 wife works vigorously and eagerly, is up before sunrise providing food for her family and servant girls, she trades profitably and works into the night, she cares for the poor, makes and sells linen garments, speaks with wisdom and so on. In short, this amazing woman appears tireless in her ability to run a household and help her husband. I pray and strive to live such a life, but I almost get tired reading about it!


Studying this passage is inspirational, but there is also a lot in there to DO. And it's all important stuff, all things God would want of us as wives. In fact, it's so important and so godly that we are encouraged right there in Scripture to live this life. However, work is not all that there is to Christian life. I've been reading and praying my way through Matthew lately, and a passage I read last week really resonated with me, and reminded me once more that the Christian walk is not all about the work that we do but about the work that God does in us.

In Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus tells us, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Abide in Christ. "Take my yoke.." It is so easy to get wrapped up in the checklists of godly attributes and even in the mundane lists of tasks to accomplish that we can lose sight of what it means to rest in Jesus. Too many Martha moments and not enough Mary. Yet, He is what my soul needs and what every empty place in my heart has ever yearned for. And finding that rest for my soul and experiencing it is what can move me to do all that God has created me for.

And so it is for all of us. In the craziness of our days, it is so important that we take those quiet moments to simply abide. Rest in Christ and learn from Him.

I'm sharing this also at

5 comments:

  1. "And so it is for all of us. In the craziness of our days, it is so important that we take those quiet moments to simply abide. Rest in Christ and learn from Him."

    Amen! Even as single stay-at-home daughter right now I can much too often find myself straying from the peace that is found ABIDING in Him as my mind swirls with my to-do lists and just being focused on the tasks at hand. So often the Lord uses the Mary/Martha senario to speak to me. I have found that praying all day long as I have moments while my hands may be busy but my mind can be quieted (such as doing the dishes) are perfect for drawing near to and refocusing on Him through prayer. How I long to meditate on the Scriptures all day long like David but somewhere between breakfast and dinner I usually lose sight of that goal and the remembrance of what I read that morning is laid aside for more imminent tasks. Ah to find the balance between what is truly imminent and what's not. But wasn't that the question Yeshua (Jesus) answered for Martha? Sit at my feet, learn from Me, be still! Yet how do we make that a daily reality in our lives so full of things that cannot be left untended?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hear you on this one! The thought of being able to spend a day in prayer and meditation on Scripture is so tempting, but then all of those home tasks intrude and demand to be done. It's a difficult balance and one I pray over a lot as well. I find it helps if I get up early so that I can carve out time where it's just me and God. Somehow after that the rest falls into place much more easily.

    I hope you're having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! Early mornings seem to be a huge help to me as well. I like to study at night sometimes too but often find that my mind can't absorb His Word and carry it with me, like I can in the morning. Although a cup of early morning coffee might still aide the process ;) I think it's a good habit to get into before I get married as well so that when I have my own house to keep and so forth I will already know how to set time aside for the most important thing of sitting at His feet!

    May your day be blessed :)
    Maiden Princess

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. Being in Christ is far more important than anything we do, even for Him. It is easier at times to work on the outside and forget the relationship

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am grateful for what I learned from your blog today, Amy. God bless! :-)

    ReplyDelete