Saturday, June 25, 2011

Be Still

When I worked full-time, I could very easily get myself lost in the minutiae of my days. I always had tasks in the office that needed doing and when I got home, well, meals didn't cook themselves and the cats didn't so much as lift a paw to clean for me and my husband. Now that I'm transitioning home, the stress has lessened somewhat.

I've faced a steep learning curve in my homemaking skills, but I love being able to learn new skills and figure out how to run a household most effectively. There's the stress of moving to a new place and in some ways, reinvent myself. After all, I am no longer identified simply by my old profession. Now I am known more as the wife of someone, the lady who tutors homeschoolers, who loves history and politics, who writes, gardens and knits, who loves the Lord. Instead of being what the world and the workplace would make of me, I am getting to be the person God would have me be. It's hard to explain, but somehow I feel more like myself than I have in years.

And yet there's still a busyness there and it's something I feel called to work on. Diligence is important and the ever popular Proverbs 31 woman is a model of industry for us all. However, we also have Martha and Mary to look at. And in Mary, God shows us that sometimes you just have to put that broom down, be still and sit at the feet of Jesus. Just as Elijah heard God speak to him in that "still, small voice" (1 Kings 19), sometimes we too have to open our hearts and be willing to hear God in our lives.

In addition to biblical models of work and industriousness, American culture in some ways seems to celebrate being constantly busy. We must have blackberries in order to be always reachable, people will talk often about how much activity has filled their days and so on. However, it feels so freeing to pull oneself away from that mentality and take time to pray, read Scripture and simply be in the presence of God without feeling the need to rush through quiet time. Days can be full of action, but they need this contemplation and communion, too.


Linked at
and also at on Wise Woman link up.

6 comments:

  1. Amy,

    There is a fine line between being busy and being productive. Unfortunately, some of us get stuck in the former because we're too busy listening to what the world says instead of what God says.

    Good post. I could truly relate to some of the points that you made in this post. Doing what the Lord has called us to do as women will always be something we'll need to learn and work upon while we journey upon this earth.

    -An Ordinary Woman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful and very true!

    Thanks for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello :) Just dropping by to let you know that you were selected in our giveaway. Please contact me soon. :) Have a blessed week! ~ Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you said about how freeing it is to get "unplugged" and be unhindered by everything that would try to pull us away from being still before God. It is a marvelous and peaceful thing to say NO to other distractions so that we can be all there for Him!

    The Lord is teaching me lately that even though we need that physical stillness it is also about inner stillness. Our hands may be busy but our hearts can still enter into that stillness before God. When I offer up my anxieties and worries, I am filled with His peace, His stillness. Oftentimes, prayer while doing brings and inner stillness that I can carry with me while I am busy all day long. Nothing can to compare to physical and soul still at the same time, but at least we can have one when it is not practical to be still all day in His presence.

    It is a most exciting thought, if only I would remember the joy and peace that floods in with it and do it more often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I found your site. I would love to follow each other, so please stop by :)
    I was a stay at home homeschooling mom full time for 12 years, due to my husband getting injured, I have had to work part time for some time now and my heart aches to come back home full time. But God is so good, somehow my husband and I still manage to get the homeschooling done even with both of us working. It is such a busy juggle and I forget sometimes to just step back...thank you for your post :)

    ReplyDelete