Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Midweek Links - Cleaning and Decluttering for All

I follow a lot of the Flylady routines for my everyday cleaning, but this deep-cleaning list for the bathroom from Time-Warp Wife is helpful for going beyond the everyday cleanup. I will add a little tip of my own - if you heat up the bathroom by running the shower before you start scrubbing, everything cleans up much more easily.

I worry about the effects of some of the chemicals in a lot of commercial cleaning agents and I also find it more frugal to make my own. Some are formulas that I learned growing up, others come from the excellent book Back to Basics (various editions - most recent edited by Abigail Gehring), and I have discovered another very helpful set of recipes over here. That tub and tile cleaner has worked well for me!

One of the side effects of several years of both my husband and I working full-time was that clutter built up in our home with a vengance. Both of us had paper-intensive jobs, and we're both avid readers. Recipe for disaster, right? When I first started transitioning home, I felt overwhelmed and didn't know where to start on organzation. After much Googling, I found this helpful set of articles by Sylvia Britton at Christian HomeKeeper Network, and these have helped me get the decluttering done.

This isn't related to my other cleaning and organizing links, but there are a few fun giveaways going on now. (1) Jessalyn at Desiring Virtue is giving away three books - You can enter to win Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot, What Did you Expect? by Paul David Tripp or Give Them Grace by Elise Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson. (2) Jasmine over at Far Above Rubies is having a Blessing Bag giveaway and the items there look really cute! (3) And the last giveaway - Ashley over at Putting God First Place is giving away a giftcard to Dayspring. I've found some lovely gifts there in the past and I've been having fun reading the entries for this one!

3 comments:

  1. I love these link up days. Sometimes when I am cleaning the shower I will spray the tiles with spray (nothing dangerous) then after a few minutes I climb in to have my shower and give the shower a big scrub while am there, it doesn't matter about me getting soaked as that is the intention!! The heat of the hot water really do help clean the tiles.

    De cluttering is something I do often as I am not am fan of clutter. I only did it the other day with my recipes.

    Off to check out those other blogs you mentioned.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    Hummm . . . that's an interesting tip about heating-up the bathroom by running the shower so things will clean much easier. I've never tried that. I may try that sometime.

    I'm not a big fan of household cleaning chemicals either. However, I have found that most homemade cleaners use vinegar as an ingredient, and unfortunately, I really don't like the smell of vinegar.

    Well, I'll go look at some of your links now.

    Blessings,

    -L. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I like the "heat up the bathroom tip", I had heard someone suggest wiping the shower down with your used towel after showering. That way you keep the grime from building up over time AND you use the power of the heat!

    ReplyDelete