Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Simple Summer Stew

On seeing the fresh okra both in my garden and at the farmers' market, I have been trying to find uses for it beyond gumbo or fried okra. This summer stew fits the bill, and it doesn't take long to prepare. When it's 90 degrees out, minimizing the stove time is a blessing!

Simple Summer Stew
1.5 - 2 lbs lean stew meat
flour
1 large red onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 large potato, cut into cubes (leave skin on!)
1 large can beans (I use kidney beans)
2 cups boiling water
1 large can tomatoes (using organic now but hoping to have home-canned for next year)
3/4 cup sliced okra
1 small chopped bell pepper
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
salt
garlic, chili powder and cumin to taste (see note)

1. Dredge stew meat in flour and brown in Dutch oven with onion on medium heat.

2. Add all vegetables to beel and cook until all are tender. This takes about 10 minutes depending on how much you have in your pot.

3. Season to taste with Worcestershire sauce, salt and spices.
It's good the first night and even better the next day!

NOTE: If, as I did, you find that you're out of cumin midway through cooking your stew, improvising with oregano and a pinch of garam masala seems to work quite well.



I'm also sharing this one at

5 comments:

  1. I used okra in stew one time and it got super slimy. Was my okra not fresh enough or is there a trick to keep it from getting slimy without breading it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Home +Something - Okra does get slimy. A little bit of this can be good because it will thicken a soup, but I agree lots of it is not pleasant. In my experience, the "tricks" are: (1)not letting it age too long before cooking because old okra slimes more, (2) not cooking too long (3)cooking it in stir fries or sauteeing it(I didn't do that here, but it does help the slime evaporate) and (4) if all else fails, adding a little vinegar to soups/stews helps with slime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...so I have never-even-EVER tried Okra...but this is a fun adventure for me to consider... :)
    May have to give it a try...
    I love stews.
    And I love simple :)

    ReplyDelete