Friday, July 8, 2011

Crunchy Chicken - Yum!

I'm from Virginia. My parents are from Virginia. Generation upon generation of my family is from Virginia. And with that much Southern in me, it probably shocks no one that I love my fried chicken! However, I am trying to be mindful of what I eat and to serve God by treating the body he has given me in a healthful manner. This means that fried chicken has become a rare treat.

I've been trying to come up with a substitute, but so many of the "oven fried" chicken recipes seem to end up soggy or tasteless. After some experimentation(thanks for eating all that chicken, sweetie!) and research online, I think I may have found a good, crunchy chicken recipe that will not clog my arteries from here to kingdom come.


Crunchy Unfried Chicken

Note: This recipe serves 4-5, but can be very easily increased.

1. Preheat oven to 425. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.

2. Mix 1/2 cup buttermilk with salt and pepper in a bowl (do not use a metal bowl!).

3. Crush 1-2 cups of unsweetened cornflakes or whole-grain cereal flakes. I do this by putting the cornflakes in a gallon storage bag and going over them with a rolling pin until they're good and crushed up.

4. Place the crushed cereal in a shallow container. I usually use a Pyrex baking dish for this.

5. Cut up 1 pound of chicken breast into bite-size pieces. Dip them first into the buttermilk and then into the cereal.

6. Place the coated chicken on the foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden.

7. Enjoy! This chicken is really good dipped in barbeque sauce. I also like to mix mustard, honey and a touch of BBQ sauce to taste, and use that for dipping. I usually serve the chicken with a green salad, and some fresh berries or peaches for dessert.

Too good to keep to myself, so linking it at:

9 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good recipe. Since we eat A LOT Of chicken in this house (very little beef or pork), it's nice to learn of new ways to bake with chicken. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar recipe by Nigella Lawson (from the UK). She suggests soaking the chicken in buttermilk overnight and then coating them in cheese crackers (which has been crushed). They come out very crunchy and moist. Much healthy than the bought versions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, the cheese cracker variation sounds really good! I've heard of Nigella Lawson, but never tried any of her recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delish, I'm definitely trying this soon, I'm a Southern Gal and LOVE my fried chicken but, don't like the way it makes me feel afterwards {yuckie}! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delish! Crispy chicken is SO good. Visiting via DWYH linky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can identify. My folks have been in GA since the before the 1860’s war for Southern Independence, and I love fried chicken too. However, we try to eat more healthy as well, so it has been a long time since I’ve had fried chicken. I’ve been comparing some baked chicken recipes and have seen ones similar to this. It sound good, only I try to avoid commercial cereals as well! I wonder if there is a way to make homemade cornflakes!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awaydownsouth - Thanks for visiting! I don't know if there is a really good way to make homemade cornflakes. I saw some recipes on Google but haven't tried them. I usually just buy the organic, non-genetically modified cereal because, like you, I'm a little wary of some commercial cereals.

    ReplyDelete