Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Easy Tomato Provolone Chicken

WARNING: You may laugh when you see where I came up with the idea for this one!

When I was in college, dining hall food ranged from mediocre to dismal. However, my school did have a rare few dishes that were actually pretty good. One was a chicken/provolone/tomato combo that was pretty tasty. The original was a little bland and came on bagels. However, in my adaptation, I made it a little healthier by switching out the bagels for a dredging in bread crumbs and I added a little zing to it with some basil and parsley. This is a quick, easy dish to make, and it's very good served with a salad or some of the fresh bell peppers in season right now.

Note: I only made a half recipe (2 chicken breasts) since I was cooking for two. If you follow recipe exactly, you'll need a bigger casserole dish to accomodate four.

Easy Tomato Provolone Chicken


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Start with 4 boneless chicken breasts and flatten them slightly. I do this by putting each chicken breast between 2 sheets of wax paper and pounding them with a heavy can(cheaper than buying a mallet or meat tenderizer, I suppose).

2. Press bread crumbs into both sides of each flattened chicken breast.

3. Oil a casserole dish with light olive oil and place chicken breasts inside it. Salt and pepper to taste.

4. Slice a tomato or two and place 2-3 tomato slices on top of each chicken breast.

5. Use about 1/4 tsp. dried or fresh basil to sprinkle on top of the tomato slices.

6. Top each chicken breast with a slice of provolone cheese and then garnish each with fresh chopped parsley.

7. Bake the chicken in oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until cooked throughout.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. YUMMY! ;) Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by after seeing your comment on The Gypsy Mama's post today.

    This recipe looks delicious, I will have to add that one to my "to try" list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Found you through Women Living Well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm, looks really awesome! Thanks for sharing :)


    In His Love,
    Maiden Princess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our dining hall dorm food was NOTHING like this...looks wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy! You're welcome :) Yeah, I watched the videos too and it wasn't right what he was saying :( I was actually surprised because I own his Forgiveness Nooma series which is very good! Thanks for the link!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds so good. I can imagine you could be quite creative with what goes on top such as mushrooms.

    I use the wooden rolling pin to "bang" things!! Works as well as a mallet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never made a dish like this before. I'll have to try it sometime.

    You use a can to pound your chicken breasts? :) I used to just use my bare hands, but that gave me a slight back-ache. Then, I moved to a potato masher, but now I use a mallet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy, this looks so good! I'm expecting to get my first tomato soon so this recipe comes at a great time!

    I also wanted to let you know I awarded your blog a blog award over on my blog. Feel free to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Wildflower Cottage - Yes, I do tend to use a heavy can or rolling pin or whatever else happens to be handy for pounding chicken breasts. I got into that habit in college when I had little money and few cooking supplies and it just stuck with me. :)

    ReplyDelete