Monday, July 18, 2011

Peach Crumble

The peaches are at their peak now and peach crumble is one of my favorite ways to enjoy them. My grandmother remembers eating this as a special treat during the 1930s and 1940s. Peaches grew plentifully in the orchard, but other items were expensive or even rationed. This dessert lets the flavor of the fruit shine through while using much less flour and sugar than a standard cobbler.

Peach Crumble
First preheat oven to 350 degrees. Next, peel and slice 12 peaches and mix them in a bowl with 1/4 cup of sugar. Then lightly oil a 3 quart baking dish [I've found that a good way to do this is to put vegetable oil on a paper towel and then run it along the inside of the baking dish. I prefer this to using cooking spray.] Spoon peaches into greased baking dish and set aside.

Next combine 1/2 cup flour, 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg and 3 Tablespoons softened butter. Use 2 knives or forks to work butter into dry ingredients until you get something resembling coarse bread crumbs.
Spread this mixture over the peaches. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Enjoy!


Too yummy to keep to myself, so I'm spreading the word here:

5 comments:

  1. We always had this with apple rather than peach. It was wonderful in winter with custard and cream. Haven't had this for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that looks good! I've been looking at recipes all morning, I've got to stop doing that before breakfast though, its making me want everything I see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I am craving peach crumble!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! So what if I'm the only one in my family who likes peaches. I think I'll have to stop at the local farmstand and pick up 12 of them... ~Heather

    ReplyDelete