Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Single Step

"She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." - Proverbs 31:27

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

"Rome wasn't built in a day."

Note: not my actual house - but you get the idea!

We all know the feeling. That sinking feeling one gets upon walking in the door and instantly spotting eleventy gazillion tasks that need doing. So many tasks in fact that one scarcely knows where to begin.

My husband and I are in the midst of fixing up our house, so I have lots of these moments as I keep our home these days. Each new home project requires the moving of furniture, sorting of papers, etc... And after the project itself is finished, the straightening up begins. I may have a lovely new coat of paint on the walls in the entryway, for example, but in order to get there, I had to take the contents of the entry hall and move them all into the den.

The constant rearranging and putting things to rights can be overwhelming. And one doesn't need a home renovation in order to feel this way. We all have times when the clutter piles up a bit, we move the furniture around, or the house simply needs freshening up beyond the normal cleaning routine. I know my instinct when faced with piles of cleaning and endless tasks the need to be done is to hide away in bed and pull the covers over my head.

However, hiding from the work doesn't get it done. I may not get every renovation-upended spot in my house back to normal in one day (but oh, was today ever a day!). However, we all must start somewhere. I have found that the best plan of attack for me is to break things down into smaller tasks and to start with the first thing that greets me as I walk in the door.
And so I give thanks that I even have a home to care for, say a little prayer, pick up that stack of filthy, ripped painting rags in the entryway and put them in the trash where they belong. And that first step has been taken. Far from eating the bread of idleness, I walk with God and He gives me the strength and patience I need to perservere to the end of the task laid before me.  And the next.  And the next....

Sharing this at

4 comments:

  1. OH my! I think you're writing this for me because you must have dropped by today while I was gone. I was just commenting to my husband about the clutter and notkeeping up with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't climb a mountain unless you take the first step. One step at a time.

    Blessigs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to get very overwhelmed when there's a lot of clutter or things that need doing. You're right about taking it a step at a time. I just have to keep my focus on what ever I'm doing right then and not look at all the stuff that needs to be done:)

    ReplyDelete