There are days when I savor that feeling of accomplishment that comes from successfully putting together a complex recipe or making a fancy dinner for my husband. However, there are other days when I just need to get something on the table and I don't have a lot of time. I had repairmen tromping through the house almost all day today, so it was definitely one of those times. This quick soup is good any time of year, is nutritious, and takes almost no time to make.
2 minced garlic cloves (dried minced garlic works in a pinch)
1 T. butter
40-45 ounces vegetable broth (can be homemade or boxed - I try to avoid boullion because it can be very high in sodium)
1 pkg refrigerated cheese tortellini
1 pkg (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
1. Take thawed spinach out of package and squeeze it dry. Set aside.
2. Saute garlic in butter in a large saucepan until tender.
3. Stir in broth and bring to a boil.
4. Add tortellini; cook 5-6 minutes or until tender.
5. Stir in tomatoes and spinach and heat through.
Note: This is good with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
Another note: As usual, this recipe is for 4-5 servings, but it's easily expandable.