Sunday, July 10, 2011

Walking with God - and my Wi-Fi

The internet opens up so many doors for us. Some of them are really good - I can download and listen to sermons from the church where I grew up, for example. As we have been searching for a new church home, my husband and I could also research churches on our area. I can also study just about any topic imaginable, not to mention being able to compare Scripture across translations without have a gazillion Bibles open around the dining room table. Probably my favorite aspect of the internet has been the world of both wisdom and fellowship it has opened up from me. I enjoy writing and sharing online, and I also like reading what other Christian women have to say because oftentimes when I am in a quandry, someone I follow has been there already and I can learn from her. When used wisely, the internet allows us to build one another up.

However, I also find myself drawn a little too much into the internet. It's easy to start researching a topic, going from link to link, and then find that hours of my day are gone. And these are hours that I could have spent in prayer and meditation with God, getting chores done at home, spending time with my husband and so on. I noticed this not long after I first started my transition home from working full-time and I've prayerfully started to combat it because I could feel it affecting my walk with God.

First and foremost, I do not even turn the computer on until I have had time to pray and to read Scripture. Rushing through a devotional while booting up the laptop just doesn't strike me as the ultimate model of worship. I am Christ's disciple and in order to live that life, I need to come before Him daily, infettered by a half-written blog piece and various emails awaiting my attention.

In order to limit my time online, I've deliberately stayed off Twitter and I haven't put my blog up on Facebook either. I really enjoy interacting with the wonderful folks I've met online through reading their blogs and writing my own. However, I know that I need to live my offline life and I don't want to be a cause for others not living their lives fully either.

In moderation, the internet and social media can be wonderful. There are so many bloggers out there whose company I suspect I would enjoy were we to meet in real life. However, without time unplugged from the computer and at the feet of God, we cannot walk that Christian walk of ours that way that it's meant to be done.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post. Thought provoking and I must say... sometimes, I don't give God my first attention... in fact that is something I am really having to change. He has had more of my "leftovers" lately. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such Wise words! I love hearing the reasons behind the choices that you have made and it encourages me to hear how serious you take your walk with God - you are a rare gem!
    Keep walking with the King!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really agree that the availability of sermons online and other bible study tools/devotional etc are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I love how you have purposed not to turn on your computer before you've had your quiet time. That's something I am starting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still working on reading my Bible before I even turn on the computer....the magnetic force can be so powerful! I'm so glad Courtney is addressing this through her new series.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for stopping by my blog, Sweet Blessings!

    It is definitely about moderation. I love being on facebook, but I can and often do, spend too much time there. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All things moderation, but that can be hard at times. Always a good reminder:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moderation is the key word here. As I said in my post, there is nothing inherently wrong with the internet (ok, there are a few sites...), but it's how and why we use it. Like all things, it should be done in moderation. Hopping over from Media Mondays - thanks! Heather

    ReplyDelete