Thursday, August 18, 2011

And Go Forth

And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20 (ESV)




Sometimes we must be still. And we know to rest in Christ, to sit at His feet and to learn how He would have us live. After all, this is a comfort and a reminder many Christians have heard from the very beginning of their believing lives. It's not all rest, though. Jesus has specifically given us commands that involve going forth and acting in His name.

We are to live as His disciples and we are to spread His wonderful message to all the ends of the earth. However, God does not call all of us to the same place. That would be rather inefficient, wouldn't it? And that doesn't even begin to touch on the fact that Scripture tells us that we have different gifts and different roles to play in the church. But we do have a call, as Jesus said, to "teach others to observe all that I have commanded you."

Some of us really are called to the very ends of the earth to serve in various mission capacities in countries all around the world. I have friends who serve with their families in a large variety of different cultures from Kenya to Bolivia to countries so closed I cannot even name them here. I myself was called to Eastern Europe to work with a missionary family for a bit before I finished school and got married.

For some of us, though, the call to "make disciples" brings us out of ourselves and into the lives of those closer to home. Some of us have children and we are instructed in many places throughout Scripture to go forth and teach these children, raising them up to be godly men and women who will live in the same faith that has nourished us. Some of us have been called by God to serve the elderly among us, reminding them of Christ's love and showing them they are not forgotten even in a culture that sometimes overvalues youth. And those of us who are married are called to be keepers of the home, and the Bible tells us the ways in which we can make our homes a haven and a ministry to others.

Resting in Christ and being still is a marvellous thing. And so too is following His command and going forth to live in such way that we can make Christ known!

linked up at

5 comments:

  1. I struggle so much with the "going out" part - I'm such an introvert! Actually, God has nudged me a lot on this this year. After our big earthquake, I was suddenly interacting with all my close neighbours whom I hadn't spoken to before. It has been amazing, and they all know, through random things I've mentioned, that Hubby and I are Christians go to church. It's a start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! Here from the Homemaker by choice hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post, Amy! I'm stopping by from the Homemaker by Choice blog hop. I would to have you stop and visit me at http://oliveplantsallaroundmytable.blogspot.com

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! What a great post and a great reminder.

    Thank you for sharing your heart <3
    Madien Princess

    ReplyDelete