Friday, August 19, 2011

Every New Place

Every time I go to a new place, I have to close my eyes. I have to take in the sounds and the smells and feel the air swirling around me. In Florida in July, the air is heavy and damp, I can smell the water and dark green tropical plants and before I even open my eyes, I can feel the steam in the air before I see it. In Venice, water again and the faintly sour tang of the canals mingled with roses from nearby vendors and the sounds of a city bustling to life.

Somehow when I only look with my eyes, I can find the similarities between a destination and my own home. I can trick myself into believing I'm somewhere almost familiar. Yet when I close my eyes and take it all in, I can feel myself sinking into every new place and then when I open my eyes again, I've finally arrived at my destination. And it's new, it's not home and I can start to appreciate what it is as I explore.

-------
This was written in five minutes with no editing for Five Minute Fridays over at The Gypsy Mama.

4 comments:

  1. Smell is such an under-appreciate sense until we realize how much it contributes to our experience of life. I really enjoyed this post... and I'll be smelling my day more carefully today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully descriptive, I could almost smell the smells with you! I love how you connected the familiar with the new. I enjoyed visiting your site from Gypsy Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how powerful the sense of smell is, isn't it? How the smell of something remains in our minds and stirs our emotions in ways we will never forget.

    Such a beautiful post! God bless and hope you have a wonderful weekend. :-)

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love new places and exploring all the senses they bring!

    ReplyDelete