Monday, August 29, 2011

Safe From the Storm

Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever!

- Psalm 107:1


Last week saw me through an earthquake, microburst storm, and Hurricane Irene. Yet in the midst of all this, I found myself prayerful and calm. The earthquake was extremely unsettling, tornado-like microburst storms can be sudden and very scary, and I'm sure everyone heard the weather reports of Hurricane Irene. Thankfully, aside from a brief power outage and a little basement flooding, we're fine. Praise God!

I did get nervous on occasion, and we spent a lot of time preparing for the hurricane. However, I can honestly say I felt a calm at the heart of it all. And that calm came from God. I knew that He was with me in the heart of every storm and I felt that deeply. No matter what happened, it would work to His glory and we would be kept safe if that was within His will.

Knowing this brought me a greater sense of peace than I think I would have had living through something like this even 10 years ago. This week has been one of those truly beautiful ones where in the midst of great concern, I can feel Him with me. And as a small child walking beside her Father in a new and scary place, I know I'm safe even if I don't know what we'll see next.

7 comments:

  1. We are so blessed to the the Lord to lean on during these scary times, aren't we?! I'm glad you came through it all safe and sound. It truly has been quite the week, an earthquake and a hurricane all in ONE week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're safe from the hurricane, Amy! I was really shocked when I saw in the news how some areas in the US were already submerged in flood. It made me think about all my blog friends from the US. Thank God, I still see you, guys, making new posts--they assure me of your safety.

    God bless, Amy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "His way is in the whirlwind and the storm, clouds are the dust of his feet..." (Nahum 1:3)...your post reminded me of that verse! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photo of the rainbow from the storm is beautiful! It caught my eye when I was reading Shanda's blog, so I hopped over to read your post. Glad to hear you weathered the storm safely! Beautiful post and reminder that God is the God of peace in the midst of a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God wants us go trust Him during this events. If we didn't go through these sorts of things occasionally we wouldn't ever lean on the Lord, we would think life was good. So even though we don't like fires or storms they are part of this planet we live on, created by God. Trusting in Him as you did, is what we all need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thankful God kept you safe and your spirit calm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too, experienced this supernatural calm. The earthquake did not 'shake' me much although the grocery store I was in was very much shaken. It is so great to know that we are held tightly in his grip and there, we are completely at peace and safe in the knowledge of his control over all things--even a world gone wild. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete