Thursday, August 4, 2011

Stuffed Zucchini (Vegetarian)

I know I'm not the only person out there who has zucchini taking over their yard this time of year. Even with the deer eating their way through my garden, I'm drowning in them! Now I like sauteed veggies and zucchini bread as much as the next person, but there comes a time when one must start coming up with some variations. I've had zucchini stuffed with heavier meat sauces and that's great in the winter, but for the summer heat wave, I decided to try something a little lighter. It has the added bonus of being healthier as well!


Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini


Note: As with the vast majority of my recipes, I'm only cooking for 4 but I tend to use simple ingredients so they're easily expandable.

2 zucchini (use fairly large ones)
extra virgin olive oil (I don't measure, but it looks like about 2 T. when I'm cooking.)
about 1/4 cup chopped onion
4 diced mushrooms
Parmesan cheese

1. Steam the zucchini for 10 minutes, and then cut in half lengthwise.
2. Scoop out the insides and place in small bowl. Set aside zucchini "shells."
3. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat and saute onions until soft and golden brown. Then add the mushrooms and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or so.
4. Mix onions and mushrooms with the zucchini insides and spoon into the zucchini "shells."
5. Top zucchini with Parmesan and place in oven at 350 for 10 minutes. About halfway through baking, add a little more Parmesan.

Enjoy - this is good and it's really easy to make on a busy night!

3 comments:

  1. This looks amazing...my zucchini isn't going to great this year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, going to serve as a side dish (maybe with the bbq ribs) and I will add this to my Friday Food finds (garden theme). Thanks for sharing!!! Love your concept of your title, more joy, YES!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look really yummy! They would be great with fresh tomatoes (any variety or color) and freshly torn basil and mozzerella too. Yummo! If our zucchini plants ever start producing I want to try this! Thanks for the idea! =)

    ReplyDelete