Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Summery Dinner Salad

This recipe lends itself well to those hot summer days when all one wants is a rather light dinner. The only cooking needed is to prepare the couscous and I tend to either do that the night before or to do it in the early morning before it gets too hot.


Summer Couscous Salad


1. Boil 1 cup chicken broth and then stir in 3/4 cup couscous.

2. Take the pan off heat and let sit, covered tightly, for about 5 minutes.

3. When you remove lid, all or almost all of the broth should be absorbed. Take the couscous and place in a bowl. Mix in about 1/3 cup of Italian dressing (If I don't have time to make my own, I normally use Annie's Naturals. I like my salads not to have very heavy dressing, but if you want more, you can always add more dressing.)

4. Refrigerate the couscous for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight.

5. Now the fun part - add veggies! I do this based on what we have in season, so last night I made this salad with halved cherry tomatoes, chopped up green pepper, and a can of sliced water chestnuts to give it some added crunch. In the spring, I will often do a variation of this salad with chopped spinach and shredded Parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this recipe, I LOVE cous cous and now I have another way to eat it.

    I'm glad you're safe, I would imagine living in VA that it was quite scary during the earthquake. Have the aftershocks been strong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cooked couscous for my family once and they didn't like it, so I never cooked it again. I might have to cook a little just for me.

    ReplyDelete