Friday, August 26, 2011

Treasures

The world tells us youth is magical, and in a way it is. But after that, the world rather misses the point. For in its zeal to make us long to be forever young, it doesn't see or show us the wonderful treasures that come as time goes on.

If I were my young college-girl self, I would never have the confidence I have now. Back then, it was so much easier to listen to others telling me what a should be. Harder to listen to that still small voice saying to me which way I should go even if I was to go places that no one else in my church would be going.

And then there's wisdom. I have been through "many dangers, toils and snares" already with God and I've learned from those. I still have much to learn, but I have grown in wisdom from the girl I used to be. When I look at the older women I have known, I know I have a long way to go. So many of these ladies have stored up a treasure house of wisdom over the years. The mainstream media may place more value on those who look 20, but the real treasures tend to lie behind deeply wrinkled faces.

Somehow I think that the older we get, the more wonder remains for us to discover. Life abounds with treasures and God does not reserve them all for the very young.

------------
This was written in five minutes with no editing for Five Minute Fridays over at The Gypsy Mama.

5 comments:

  1. I agree! I think as I age, I give myself permission to enjoy more and worry less about others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this is true...the older we get the more wonder remains for us to discover...I must say...being over the half-century mark brings new treasures...these treasures are for those who have been digging a long time...Keep digging...
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are definitely advantages to getting older. Much of it is in the outlook on life. I have friends who begrudge it and are always complaining. They don't see the good part. Attitude plays a part in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Older = wiser! Thanks for this :)

    ReplyDelete