Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Vermicelli Anita

I love getting local cookbooks from different places. I pick them up whenever I go on an out of town trip and I've gotten a few as gifts also. This recipe is a favorite of mine from a New Hampshire cookbook called Seafood Expressions that I got as a bridal shower gift. It's very tasty, and none of the ingredients will break the bank either.


Vermicelli Anita


12 oz. vermicelli
2 T. butter
1 1/2 - 2 medium onions, minced
2 cups crushed tomatoes
2 7oz. cans tuna in oil (I splurge and use albacore in oil as it's a little less greasy than the regular tuna)
2 cups frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

1. Cook vermicelli in large saucepan.
2. While pasta is cooking, saute onion in butter in a saucepan until soft, over medium-low heat.
3. Stir in tomatoes and cook 5 minutes.
4. Break tuna into pieces, add to sauce and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
5. Add peas, stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Place vermicelli on plates and spoon sauce over it. Garnish with chopped parsley. Add grated parmesan cheese, if desired.
Serves 4, but can be doubled with a slight adjustment to cooking times.

NOTE: I sometimes have trouble finding vermicelli locally, so I will substitute angel hair pasta broken into smallish pieces. That's actually what I did in the batch shown in the picture above.

2 comments:

  1. yeah he definitely has a good outlook! Thanks so much for commenting :) Hope you have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A recipe I should keep for summer when we want a change.

    ReplyDelete