Monday, August 22, 2011

The Wonderful World of Media?

Over the past few weeks, I've been participating in Media Mondays over at Women Living Well. It's been eye-opening to explore how social media changes our walks with God, affects our health, homemaking and relationships, and generally plays a truly major role in life.

As I think about the main aspects of my life and how media affects them, I have made one major observation: The media itself really is neutral. The benefits or damages brought into my life come about largely as a function of the choices I make. This brings home to me that in media, as with everything, I must turn first to God in prayer and in study, so that I can be equipped to make the best possible choices.

In looking at media in my life, I find many examples of the positives. I can go online and find all manner of good Bible translations and study resources, I can take care of my home more efficiently by employing tips I read online, and I can research all kinds of health, relationship and other topics online. The wealth of information out there can be a wonderful resource!

However, there are also negatives. I enjoy reading blogs and meeting all kinds of wonderful Christian women online. However, one must use discernment as there are also some dangerous places online where one can receive incorrect or even false information. And I think everyone knows that there are all kinds of sites which criticize Christians and Christianity and promote agendas which would not benefit our faith, our families, our marriages or our homes.

And then there is the time issue. Used in moderation, electronic devices and social media can truly enrich our lives. For someone with a relatively small circle of fellow Christians offline, sharing with and learning from others online has been a Godsend. However, if I don't watch myself, I could end up spending all day researching and interacting online, and not get any tasks for my day completed.

Keeping this in mind, if we trust God and think through our media usage choices, media could end up working a huge blessing in our lives. We just need to remember that we use our computers, cell phones, etc... as tools for the glory of God rather than as ends in and of themselves.

7 comments:

  1. Amy,
    As a fairly new blogger, I'm learning to keep my priorities straight. I'm trying to reserve blogging for only when the children are sleeping (early in the am) or after they've gone to bed at night. It doesn't always happen that way (like now), but it's what I'm working towards. Thanks for the reminder. :)
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa - I know what you mean about keeping priorities straight. I am a fairly new blogger, too, and that's something I've been trying to plan as well.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good post! I hear quite often about how bad technology is, but technology isn't really bad, it's just how you use it. This is a great reminder on keeping your priorities in line, and also using God's guidance on what is right for you. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post...we all have to work at keeping things prioritized and balanced. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very true! These Monday Media posts always give me something to ponder and chew on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Amy for commenting on my blog! We definitely need to live our lives as we're waiting :) Thanks for this post about media!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have recently felt led to challenge myself to "Tech-free" Sundays. What a blessing to put technology in it's proper place.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete