Friday, September 16, 2011

Joy in the Journey

So much of my life focuses on the destination. I can get lunch once I get to town X or I will stop for a stretch break when I finally get to town Y.

My whole life can turn into a road trip if I'm not careful. What if I wouldn't let myself be happy until I finished school? Or I met the perfect man for me? Or until my husband and I get a house? What if the life I thought I planned never happens?

God puts so many things into our everyday lives that are immense blessings and if I focus too much on MY destinations, I miss the joy that is my journey on this earth. The ultimate joy comes in being face to face with Him someday, but there is joy in this journey as well, and I want to remember to drink deeply of it every single day.

Think about it. One can find all manner of joy in the everyday blessings of God - birds singing, the immensity of the oceans, the smell of the earth after a rain. And then there are the joys found in good food and good friends, the joy of coming together to worship, the joy of seeing how, in our imperfect ways, God uses our lives to teach us and teach others.

Goals and destinations aren't important, but they aren't the only things. Wonders abound. Find joy in your journey. It's there, everywhere we look.


------------
This was written in five minutes with no editing for Five Minute Fridays over at The Gypsy Mama.

17 comments:

  1. Yes, I've been thinking about the journey all week and reading your post is so timely! I'm thinking today about making sure I'm present to live my own journey. And find joy in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You offer some very good reminders here. It is true that it isn't really about the destination, but the journey. And that the journey is full of all kinds of joys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,
    I agree wholeheartedly! We often miss the simple opportunities for joy that surround us with each breath we breathe. We must simply slow down and take notice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful reminder, that there is joy in the journey. In the every day mundaneness of life. I want to allow Him to open my eyes so that I can see the beautiful gifts He gives me each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I agree. It's not the destination, it's the journey - the process where joy and life abounds. Thank you for your words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this. Many times I've had this conversation with friends, encouraging them to live NOW, and find joy in the journey, only to realize I, too, am looking for the destination, and missing the road I'm on. Thanks for the wonderful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so true! I am guilty of that. "I will be happy when I lose 10 pounds", "I will be happy when life settles down", etc. Thanks for the reminder to be happy NOW!

    Thank you for stopping by and commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been thinking of this today actually! Thank you, what a gift the everyday is and how that is of good use to us in our journeys! I appreciate your authentic look at joy..

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very true for my life, too! Hubby and I are trying for a baby and in my plan, I would have been pregnant already! It's hard not to not find joy on this journey, but I must trust God.Thanks, Amy, very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first thought after reading this was "we need to STOP and smell the joy"!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that joy is in the here and the later. It's funny, or maybe sad, how we drown out the joy we could have rushing ahead to find it down the road. Thanks for the reminder to embrace joy now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome post, Amy! trying to learn this :)
    there is a post I wrote on my blog about this. I also recommend the book because it's good! Have a an awesome weekend! here is the post:
    http://sophiespost.blogspot.com/2011/07/lifes-little-delays.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. so true ... "my life could be a roadtrip if I let it" ... it's an everyday struggle to keep God in the driver's seat. Too often I think I know the quicker route ... these are great words to reflect on on a Monday morning - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. amen to that!!! we have to choose to be happy today, right now. praise God for our blessings of today...not for what may or may not come tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are right; we can find joy anywhere we look. It is a matter of perspective and choice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! So true. As a serial planner, haha, I tend to run my life in just that way. Anything out of routine is a challenge for me! What a great reminder that its ok to step away from the daily routine or plan ... I needed to hear this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoyed this post. My husband is always reminding me we are on a journey and to enjoy each day...
    I found you on faithfulbloggers.com
    Elaine
    http://elainepack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete