|Note: I halved the recipe for what you see in this picture.|
4 boxes frozen French style green beans 3/4 pound grated sharp Cheddar
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced 1/8 tsp. Tabasco
1 large onion, chopped 2 tsp. soy sauce
1 stick butter or margarine salt and pepper
1/4 cup flour 1 can water chestnuts, chopped
1 pint half and half 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1. Cook beans and drain well. Cook mushrooms and onion in butter until done, but do not brown onions.
2. Add flour, mix well, then add cream and let thicken.
3. Remove from heat (or turn heat to low), add cheese and stir until smooth. Add seasonings.
4. Mix in beans and water chestnuts.
5. Sprinkle top with chopped almonds, french fried onion pieces, or buttered cracker crumbs. [note: Since the water chestnuts add a fair amount of texture and crunch, I usually use the cracker crumbs.]
6. Bake at 350 until heated through.