Thursday, September 22, 2011

Green Bean Casserole

Green bean casserole is one of those classics that should be in everyone's cooking arsenal. If nothing else, it's the perfect side dish to bring to a potluck. I'm fortunate enough to have 2 good recipes - one from my mom's family and one from my dad's. I really like my paternal grandmother's version because the water chestnuts add an unexpected twist. Best of all, this recipe serves 14, so it's great for a potluck or for dinner with a large family!

Note: I halved the recipe for what you see in this picture.


Green Bean Casserole


4 boxes frozen French style green beans 3/4 pound grated sharp Cheddar
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced 1/8 tsp. Tabasco
1 large onion, chopped 2 tsp. soy sauce
1 stick butter or margarine salt and pepper
1/4 cup flour 1 can water chestnuts, chopped
1 pint half and half 1 T. Worcestershire sauce

1. Cook beans and drain well. Cook mushrooms and onion in butter until done, but do not brown onions.
2. Add flour, mix well, then add cream and let thicken.
3. Remove from heat (or turn heat to low), add cheese and stir until smooth. Add seasonings.
4. Mix in beans and water chestnuts.
5. Sprinkle top with chopped almonds, french fried onion pieces, or buttered cracker crumbs. [note: Since the water chestnuts add a fair amount of texture and crunch, I usually use the cracker crumbs.]
6. Bake at 350 until heated through.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Mmm...green bean casserole is one of my favorites! I've never tried it with water chestnuts, but I bet that would add a really delightful extra crunch! I'm a texture person, so I'm a big fan of things that add more depth to the dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My mouse is watering. Yes, everyone loves green bean casserole at a potluck. Good choice!

    ~e-Mom @ Chrysalis & Susannah's {Kitchen}
    http://www.susannahskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timely recipe for me! I was given a BUNCH of frozen packages of green beans and planned to make something with them for a grad party this weekend. This will be perfect! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete