Friday, September 2, 2011

In the Midst of a Whirlwind


Rest sounds so beautiful, so deceptively easy. We are told in Matthew, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Just reading those words makes my mind unwind a little.

But sometimes it's easier said than done. Somewhere in the sea of bills to pay, messes to straighten, people to contact and all of the things that fill our hours all day long, it's impossible to be still. And in the rush of activity, sometimes I forget to go to Him and rest. There's always more to do and an inability to understand how one can stop in the midst of a whirlwind.

Wouldn't it be lovely if rest just happened? If somewhere in the middle of the day, as if we were back in kindergarten, God unrolled our mats and told us it was time to rest? But it's not that easy. My rebellious and stubborn self sometimes keeps right on working past exhaustion, not heeding the call of that still small voice letting me know that it's time to rest for a while. Thankfully, the voice keeps calling and those moments when He unstops my ears and I can hear and obey in the middle of all my daily tasks refresh me.


-----------
This was written in five minutes with no editing for Five Minute Fridays over at The Gypsy Mama.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, to have that kindergarten afternoon rest experience again! I think that's a wonderful idea. I can completely identify with a rebellious and stubborn self who keeps on working when resting with Him is what is needed. I'm trying to hear that voice better too. Some days I succeed, others not so much. But I am so thankful that He's always there no matter what! Thanks for linking up with 5MF. I enjoyed reading your post! Smiles -

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, how I wish rest came so easily as it did in kindergarten! I definitely struggle with heeding exhaustion and forcing myself to rest. Love your transparency here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you talked about God rolling out a mat for us to nap on! I always think, "Wouldn't it be nice if someone would put me down for a nap everyday!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of kindergardeners rolling out their mats. In some countries they take siesta, or like the Muslims closse shop between 12 and 2. We have a lot to learn about rest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So hard to choose rest! Thank the Lord He knows what we most need. Hey, even Jesus needed rest.

    Thanks for the comment on my blog, Blog Schmog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On weekends I always have a rest in the afternoon -may involve feet up watching a DVD, an afternoon sleep, reading a book etc.. I make the time, it's important. I work all week so these quiet times are very important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoying a new season of "kinder mat" rest time!

    A delight to meet you today. i hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing place to dip my toes in God;s goodness.

    Be blessed bunches,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I agree with what you all are saying about needing rest. Those rest times really are important - even if I know it's going to be a few hours before I can get one today. :)

    So glad to see everyone here today and I hope you're enjoying a little rest this Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I too struggle against the need to rest. God calls us to do so, yet we resist. Silly!

    ReplyDelete