Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Midweek Links - More-With-Less Edition

This week I just had to tell everyone about one of my very favorite cookbooks. I have a rabid obsession deep fondness for collecting small, local cookbooks from churches, museums and the like. However, one other book that I absolutely love is the More-With-Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre. This book not only contains fabulous recipes, but also excellent homemaking information. For this reason, I often give it as a wedding gift.


If you're looking for tips on nutrition, meal planning, economical ways to stock a pantry, or fantastic suggestions to reduce waste, you will find them all in the book. This book was originally commissioned by the Mennonite Central Committee, and it is explained in the foreword that this church believed strongly that our beliefs should show through in how we are stewards of our resources. Though I am not Mennonite myself, I still think this book is full of many great ideas.

The cookbook opens with lots of fabulous bread and grain recipes. My most reliable bread recipes come from this book and I also absolutely love the Koinonia granola. You can find one blogger's tasty adaptation of the recipe here if you're interested. I make this stuff and put it in jars as gifts for faraway friends. I have several friends who love it!

Not surprisingly for a cookbook that deals with being good stewards of resources, one can find plenty of recipe using beans and lentils of all sorts as these are ingredients which stretch a meal rather easily. Monterey Beans and Cheese is a favorite of mine from More-With-Less and Junglewife, a missionary wife in Indonesia, seems to agree.

Pakistani Kima is my husband's favorite dish from the book, and Whole New Mom posted her delicious-sounding adaptation of the recipe earlier this week. I'd highly recommend giving it a whirl!

Now, if all of this has whetted your appetite and you want to explore the cookbook for yourself, you can find it HERE. You can also usually purchase it at Ten Thousand Villages stores.

Bon appetit!

7 comments:

  1. This is the second time I've seen someone talk about this cookbook. I think it may be a sign! It sounds like the perfect cookbook, practical wisdom, and great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Amy,
    I have visited you several times before, but have not left a comment. I appreciate what I've read, and I would like to ask you to consider linking up to the new 'Encourage One Another' link-up I started in celebration of my 100th post. What you write is just what I am looking for. It does keep us encouraged to see others all running the race of life together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this book sounds awesome. I'll have to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a More With Less Cook Book from back in Africa in the 1970's!!! I still use it an never knew there were updated versions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    I got really excited when I saw this post. I just discovered this book last month and LOVE it! The recipes are fantastic and there are so many that it is fairly easy to make something with what I have on hand. I love that they're simple and so frugal. Thanks for posting some recommendations on some of the recipes. It's a lot to wade through. I got the book from the library but I think I'll be buying it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a good cookbook! My mom has this one, and gave a copy when I got married. I've enjoyed using it, especially all the extra tips they share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love More with Less! It always helps me when I'm in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete