Friday, September 9, 2011

A New Family

Voices in the telephone and the occasional photograph were the only glimpses I had had of these people. People who would someday be family to me. I didn't know what to expect but I got on a plane anyway and travelled around the world to meet them. Stress, excitement, apprehension and joy all at once.

It hadn't been the most usual courtship. My then-fiance grew up in an overseas mission. Though he came to the United States as an adult, his parents remained at work, ministering to the underground churches of countries I dare not name in print. And so they watched (and called) from afar while my husband courted me. We had occasional conversations and my husand's aunt, in whose home we had most of our visits, no doubt had much to report as well.

Not the same as meeting in person, though. I still remember that Christmas plane trip not long after our engagement. Would they like me? Would we have much in common?

And as we made our way out of customs, I got my answer. There with flowers and a great big welcome sign stood my fiance's family, waiting for us to meet one another. The voices in the telephone had become real in the flesh to me, and the chance to connect with the wonderful people I had met from far away began in earnest.
--------------
This was written in five minutes with no editing for Five Minute Fridays over at The Gypsy Mama.

10 comments:

  1. Visiting from The Gypsy Mama. It's amazing how quickly family ties are made. It's also wonderful the connections we can make virtually or through other forms of technology like the phone. I have people I consider friends through blogging that I have never met in real life, but I care about them just the same. I hope you find more love and care for these people who are about to become part of your family now that you've met them in person. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when the people that we're so afraid of meeting because we just don't know what to expect just envelope us and give us a little slice of grace and love.

    I just had to come over and read this post because I saw the lavender field picture. I love and adore lavender. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great "5 minute" post :) Meeting the in-laws are always a scary time - and ones you don't meet until you're engaged! My husband and I were engaged three months after meeting each other (!) so his parents had a few - but lovingly - questions to ask. But they were satisfied with their son's answers and welcomed me into the fold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was beautiful! Life is funny sometimes and how we view real is slippery. What a wonderful response of a real family to their new daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love, love, love this! i could feel every bit of your anxiety and excitement in meeting your future family members in the way you captured it. i'm so glad to have been led here by five minute friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful love story's beginning!
    Blessings
    Andrea
    http://awomansheartajourneytowholeness.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-real-life.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine the feelings of apprehension over meeting future in-laws, and it sounds like a wonderful beginning. Real life stories are so interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the way you painted the picture...I could picture you stepping off the plane, full of apprehension that melted away once you saw the love on their faces. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this. A real meeting when one has to fly across the miles to meet in person. I remember those days as an MK in college.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great take on the topic. love it

    ReplyDelete