Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pasta all' Amatriciana

When I posted my White Bean Soup recipe earlier this week, I mentioned that I would be giving you another recipe to use up any leftover pancetta you might end up with. So - I went through my pantry closet and here's a really yummy one that I have made many times. When I was first married, someone gave us a 1 year subscription to Cook's Illustrated. I saved all of the magazines from that year, and this one is adapted from the Nov/Dec 2000 issue. My husband's not a huge pasta guy, but he really loves this one!

Pasta all' Amatriciana


2T. extra-virgin olive oil
6 oz. thick sliced pancetta, diced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
2 1/2 cups diced tomatoes with juice
salt
1 lb. spaghetti or linguine
1/3 cup grated Romano cheese (I like cheese so I use more)

1. Boil 4 quarts water in Dutch oven.
2.Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat and when oil is just shimmering, add the pancetta and cook until crisp, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Use slotted spoon to put pancetta on paper towel-lined plate. Drain all but 2T. of oil from skillet and add onion. Saute over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add red pepper flakes and heat to release flavor, about 30 seconds.
4.Stir in tomatoes and salt to taste, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
5. While the sauce is simmering, cook pasta in the boiling water. When pasta is cooked, drain and return to empty pot.
6. When sauce is thickened, add pancetta to it and adjust seasoning with salt. Add sauce to pasta and toss to combine. Add cheese and bon appetit!

2 comments:

  1. hi amy
    your pasta looks delicious!!!!!
    have a nice weekend,
    regina
    reginassimplelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious :). I love pasta, but my husband isn't keen on it sadly so I make it for my son and I.

    ReplyDelete