Friday, September 30, 2011

Souls Knit Together

Whenever I think on friendship, the Bible story of David and JOnathan comes to mind. Sometimes I think it is one of the saddest stories of the Bible. After all, David and Jonathan each loved the other "as his own soul." Yet David had to bear the loss of his dear friend. When I was a child, the story used to make me cry.

Now when I think on this story, I think on the gift. A friendship so deep that it is as souls knit together is truly amazing and rare. I have two close friends in my life who are to me as this. And even if one of us lost the other, I know how rich these friendships have made life taste. I would be so much the poorer if I had never had these friends. Even if my friends and I are not blessed to be on this earth for the same amount of time, I have the deep memories of friendship - of laughter shared, deep secrets and insecurities confided. We live far apart now but every time it's like we've all just picked up where we left off.

And I can't help wondering if on his days as king, David pulled out those warm memories of friendship and they made the world a little less cold for a while.

As soon as he had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. And Saul took him that day and would not let him return to his father’s house. Then Jonathan made a covenant with David, because he loved him as his own soul.

1 Samuel 18:1-3

------------

This was written in five minutes with no editing for Five Minute Fridays over at The Gypsy Mama.

4 comments:

  1. "Souls knit together" I love that. Great five minute post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the story of David and Johnathan. I cannot believe I haven't been your follower until now. What's wrong with me? :) glad I am now, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Friendship and loyalty can be a dying art these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post about a beautiful friendship. I think sometimes I forget that God made friendship as equally as he made marriage. This seems even deeper than being "kindred spirits", doesn't it? I really liked this post, Amy.

    ReplyDelete