Thursday, September 29, 2011

Why I Buy Local Eggs

We love eggs here in this house. Hardboiled eggs in salads, scrambled eggs for breakfast, eggs worked into main dishes for dinner, you name it. In recent years, I've stopped buying them at the grocery, though. I get local eggs directly from a farm or during the off-season, I'll buy organic. Why?


Taste - Farm-fresh and organic eggs just taste better. It's easily noticed when eating them plain, and I can taste the difference it makes in my cooking as well. Far from being bland, fresh eggs have a wonderful flavor. It's fabulous when eating them on their own and dishes like pound cake really showcase it. Even though the shell color doesn't affect the taste of the egg, I also just get a little thrill out of seeing the variety of God's creation here.

Nutrition - Studies have shown that organic eggs are more nutritious. They are higher in Omega 3 fatty acids. They are also reportedly higher in Vitamins A and E.

Local Economy - Some of you out there in blogland live on farms, so you already know that farming is hard work. It's not easy to make a living on a family farm, and I've seen too many people have to leave farming in my area. I like being able to support our local economy by buying eggs locally when possible. Also, when I buy eggs directly at the farm, I can see something about the conditions under which they are produced and I am happy to buy from neighbors who seem to be working hard to be good stewards of God's resources.

Allergies - For years, I would sometimes find myself getting really blotchy and flushed after eating eggs and dairy. I tested negative for allergies to eggs or to dairy, so my allergist suggested that I try buying local or organic products. He explained that the eggs and milk at the grocery came from animals treated with antibiotics and that some people had reactions to the residual medication that made it into our food. When we switched over to eggs and dairy from local farm and organic sources, this stopped happening.

12 comments:

  1. I buy local organic eggs too. So glad I'm not the only who thinks they taste better! I was beginning to think it was just my imagination because store-bought-egg-eaters tell me there's no difference. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacinda -

    I've had both and I really can tell a difference in the taste of the local eggs. The yolks also seem to be a richer yellow-gold when I crack them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up on fresh eggs and milk. There is a huge difference just in the taste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, yum! We sometimes stop at a little farmer cul-de-sac outside of town where several ladies sell their produce at little stands. Other times, we too, buy organic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! I've never even tasted an organic egg - sounds like I need to add them to my list! I didn't know that there was a taste difference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, you hit on an important piece of the puzzle for many with allergies. After we raised our own for 10 years, we've come to believe what you say is true. This is the first of many visits to read your blog. I feel eggs are very under-rated :)
    Would you consider please adding this post to my "Encouraging One Another' link up on Wednesday? This is a topic which we are interested in...helping family farms! I hope to see you on Deep Roots At Home, if it is something you feel good about doing. I won't have my feelings hurt, though, if not :) God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the informative information. As Becky mentioned, I too have never tasted an organic egg. Actually, I don't eat eggs, but I eat egg beaters. I only use eggs for hubby's breakfast, since he doesn't like the egg beaters, or I use them for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you 100%! Local eggs are best! I purchase mine from one of my students who raises chickens on her farm for 4H. They are so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I buy organic duck eggs and eat 6 a day! At first my son said, "Why are the yolks so yellow?" he was so used to pale yolks! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I buy organic and yes they are much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, Amy! I see you did link-up!! Thank you so much :) Did you have trouble getting the button? I think someone else had trouble, too. Do you like it? My daughter designed it. We are trying to encourage people to buy local, too. I'm enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jacqueline -

    I was having a little trouble with the button for some reason, but I did like the design. I tinkered with it a couple of times and finally just went back and added a link to the post.

    ReplyDelete