Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Midweek Links - A Haven at Home

Sometimes when I'm reading around the vast internet, various posts inspire me. This week it was the 31 Day Fall Challenge over at Women Living Well. The challenge for this week is to make home more inviting by lighting a candle every night. I already do this, but reading Courtney's post made me think about the reasons behind my little ritual and what it does for the environment at home.

I know some folks prefer unscented, traditional tapers while others like scented candles. I myself am a fan of the scented ones and Gold Canyon is usually my candle company of choice. I love the scents of their candles and I find that they last longer than many other brands. Also, the consultant from whom I buy sells Gold Canyon to pay her way on mission trips and I really liked that.

Not only do candles make home seem softer and more welcoming, but the challenge on WLW of using the candle's flame as a reminder to pray for our homes and families really helped me focus my prayer life this week. If you find yourself stumped for ideas on prayer for home and family, I find it helpful to simply think about all the areas of home and home life that you want to invite God into. They're nearly infinite. If you're still stumped, this list is old, but it does use the Wayback Machine to link to some good stuff.

After all of this, if you're still looking for more good ideas on making your home a welcoming haven, I recommend paying a visit to blogs like The Nester or Vignettes to get some autumn inspiration.

4 comments:

  1. I love candles but I need to be careful otherwise my cat can knock them over or burn her fur as she rushes past them!! As for scent, I need to be careful to pick ones that dont affect my husbands nose. I often use lavender or gardenia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that as well! Sometimes instead of "request prayers," I say "thankful prayers." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, this has nothing to do with this particular post, but I just wanted you to know, that I tagged you for the Liebster Blog Award, a recognition for up and coming blogs with fewer than 200 followers. You can see my post here:

    http://www.glutenfreelyfrugal.com/2011/10/05/the-liebster-blog-award/

    Thanks!
    -Janelle (Gluten Freely Frugal)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm joining in with Courtney's "Making A Home A Haven" Challenge. I participated last year and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete