Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Rain, Again

Photo Source: Fredericksburg Weather Blog


Are God's consolations not enough for you, words spoken gently to you?
- Job 15:11

I've lived in Virginia my entire life, but it's only in recent years that I've come to associate September/October with monsoon season. Truly it seems to rain every day! The rain brings new life and renewal - my garden is having an end of season pepper extravaganza and my yard resembles a jungle. However, the greyness of every day messes with my mind a bit.

It brings me that "blah" feeling. That discontent that I hate to admit or even name. And when we're discontented, I think we start to question our lot in life. Am I missing out by focusing my energies homeward? Shouldn't I be doing something more glamorous than keeping home and working from home? You know the drill. The niggling inner questions differ for all of us, but they creep into our minds from time to time, don't they? They tell us we're not enough - we don't do enough, we don't have enough and so it goes.

And it all boils down to one thing. Sometimes we flawed human beings don't realize that in God's eyes, we are enough, just as we are. Nothing I say or do is going to make me any more acceptable to Him. And He loves me just as I am!

Even better, if I turn my eyes on God and away from the whispers of the world, I start to realize something even more important. He is all I need; God is enough for me and I am complete in Him. No matter how difficult or frustrating my life might be some days, He is there. I may not always understand my calling and some days I may not even like it, but God has given me this life and will not forsake me.

And suddenly the sky just clears.

-------------
And since I didn't want to just keep it to myself, I'm also linking up here and here.

7 comments:

  1. i hear ya about the rain sista.
    today is the first not overcast day we have had in awhile.
    loved your writing.
    here is to skies clearing in all areas!
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand how you are feeling, Amy. When you make the choice to work at home and care for your family, you can be bombarded with doubts and feelings of unworthiness. I've been at home (I work 10hours a week) for three years and I still don't have it together. But I'm slowly realising that three things help me: 1. Knowing my identity is in Christ, not as a wife or homemaker or anything else. When I die, I'll die a Christian. 2. The encouragement of caring for my husband and meeting his needs. 3. Keeping busy. In the past, when I have had time to spare (like over winter) I've found it the hardest. So I started up writing again. If I'm doing housework, writing and teaching a little, life is pleasently busy. Volunteering helps, too.

    You're awesome, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post. I have also been struggling with that feeling as well, although I am working outside of the home until we have children. I love what you said "He is all I need; God is enough for me and I am complete in Him.". It is easy to take the criticism of others to heart. Last week I had a review at work and I was praying about it on my way to the office. Mostly I was just scared of having my feelings hurt! Then I suddenly thought "The only opinion that matters is God's" and my worries melted away.
    We are having blah weather in Ohio as well so I understand your feeling. Your blog is lovely, thank you for sharing.
    Amy Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy I've missed you! <3 Haven't been able to find the time to get online much, much less read blog posts :( so I finally made the time and I'm so glad I did. I've missed your encouragement. You are a blessing to me. Thank you!

    In His Eternal Love,
    Maiden Princess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, He is all we need. Whew. Thanks for sharing this truth with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, I love your candor here. I identify so often. I hope you are feeling so much better now. We just studied Job 15, and so this scripture is timely! Thank you for the encouraging word to keep our eyes on Jesus!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing! I am so thankful that we can come to God just as we are - then we can let Him do the work in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete