Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Really Good Fish

This recipe comes from my grandmother. She has three big binders of recipes - a handwritten one of old family recipes, another handwritten book full of things she learned over 67 years of being married and running a household, and one full of clippings from various magazines and newspapers. This one comes from the marriage notebook. The recipe has no title, saying simply, "A good way to cook fish", there is a notation next to it that reads, "picked up in Louisiana" - and it's really tasty.

A Good Way to Cook Fish



1 diced green pepper
2 stalks of diced celery
5 T. water
1 cube chicken bouillon
1 small can sliced mushrooms
1/2 - 3/4 of an onion, diced (I usually just use 1 1/2 T. onion flakes so that I can skip sauteeing the onion - it's also a little healthier because you can leave out the butter.)
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
5 fish fillets (either haddock or catfish works well)

1. If using fresh onion, saute it in 1 tablespoon of butter. Otherwise, skip this step.
2. Combine all ingredients in glass dish and bake uncovered at 350 until fish is flaky.
3. Baking time differs based upon the thickness of the fish fillets. It can run anytime from 35 minutes to 75 minutes, so I start checking at the half hour mark.

Enjoy!
---
Linking it up at

2 comments:

  1. Cooking fish is me thng I am hopeless at, fortunately I am not a big fish eater s it is ok. I tend to over cook it. We are planning to buy a barbecue this Christmas and I am told it is easier to cook fish on a barbecue than in a fry pan, not sure if this is true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your barbequing goes well. I do not have a barbeque grill myself, but I know friends who love cooking on theirs and they also find it easier than frying. You'll have to let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete