Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Slow to Speak

Know this my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger.

~ James 1:19 (ESV)


Sometimes it seems as though words compose my DNA. Once I'm comfortable with someone, the words just flow out of me. My husband, on the other hand, is the textbook introvert. Though a deeply loving and caring man, he needs a bit of stillness before he speaks. As a result, I have had more days than I like to admit where I get wrapped up in telling a story or detailing some project about the house and then I'm brought up short as I realize that I haven't been listening to what he has to say.

Not only does this run contrary to how God wants us to treat one another in general, but it can damage what should be the primary earthly relationship in our lives. Listening, really deeply listening to our husbands can work wonders in our marriages.


What do I mean by this?
---------------
Today, I am so honored to be one of the contributors to the 31 Days of Love marriage challenge over at Time-Warp Wife. Darlene's blog has been a huge source of encouragement to me in my own homemaking. And you can check out the rest of my entry HERE.



Also linking to Wifey Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to leave my reply to your comment on my blog here - I am never sure of proper blogging etiquette, respond by a visit to that persons blog or reply on mine. Either way, thank you for visiting this morning. I look forward to reading your article at Time Warp Wife today.

    Hi Amy, thank you so much for you comment. We have two cats and only one of them is a constant pain - always where he shouldn't be. Thinks that life is there to please him, lol. You could try the garland idea and string it across a wall or window. :)

    Blessings,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post and I can totally relate! Reading how you discover part-way through a story that you're not listening to your husband struck me - I do it too and hadn't ever stopped to meditate on it. Thank you for sharing this and for the challenge. I've been praying recently for the Lord to bring something to my attention that I really need to work on. I take this as my answer!

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete