Monday, October 10, 2011

So, what is Making a Joyful Home?



Now that I've been blogging for a few months, I find myself sitting back and taking stock a bit. I've been following Esther's blog for a while, even before I started blogging, so her Blog Party seems like the perfect opportunity for a little musing. What is it I want to do here exactly? I love to write and I enjoy blogging about faith, books and homemaking.

Who am I? You can find my basic intro here, but my name is Amy, and I'm a native of Virginia and I love my state. I currently live in the DC area, but I'm originally from the Shenandoah Valley/Piedmont area. My husband works with some rather sensitive law enforcement matters, so we don't put up many pictures of ourselves online. In case you're curious, I have blue eyes and long, wavy wild red hair. However, we have a snug little home that we share with our cats.

I have only recently gotten the opportunity to start transitioning home. I grew up in a strong church and when I graduated high school, my friends and I went in all directions. I felt God calling me to go to a college not far away, and so I did. Others of my friends were stay at home daughters(in the 1990s, this was probably even more radical than it is today!), some went to nursing school and others to college.

I initially planned to return home after college and hopefully marry, but God had other plans for me. I felt called to continue on in school, though it was years before the reason for that seemed clear to me and I wasn't terribly excited about it at the time. And so I ended up in more school, where I married a wonderful man. Afterward, I had a fairly conventional job. It was the career track and life that the world approved, but I felt uneasy about it.

As the uneasiness grew, I started to notice something else. My work requirements made my home life suffer. I was away too much and when I was home, I was flat out exhausted. I didn't have enough to give to my husband, to our home or to the church, and I knew that this was not God's will. I had some helpful conversations with good friends that I trust who started me thinking about another, perhaps less conventional, way to live. And I prayed for God to show us what to do next. And that's what started to lead me home.

I'm not home quite every day yet, but I'm looking forward to next year, when I will be. By providence, I was led into a type of work in recent years that lends itself quite well to work from home and to a certain amount of flexibility, qualities that are perfect for a homemaker. By returning home, I can fulfill God's call for me to be a homemaker. Nowadays, my home comes first but since we have not been blessed with children of our own, I can also tutor local homeschoolers and help families with special needs children and adults navigate the sometimes convoluted legal needs and benefits maze that arises when children reach adulthood or adults face a loss of capacity.

When I first pondered the idea of blogging, I thought about simply writing on homemaking - and my adventures in learning homemaking skills. I do that sometimes and I really enjoy it, but I want to connect with readers a little bit more. My faith runs through everything I do, and as a result, there are some days where I think more on my own walk with Christ and perhaps a little less about whether I'm dividing up the laundry properly.

Sometimes, too, there are books I read and want to talk about that aren't strictly on Christian womanhood or homemaking. However, what we believe underpins everything we do. A book like Radical may not tell us in great detail about homemaking, but the manner in which my husband and I order our lives and our home cannot help but be influenced by the ideas found there.

So what do you find at Making a Joyful Home? You'll find recipes at least once a week, as well as thoughts on faith, life and homemaking, and reviews of books. Rather than writing a blog with one theme such as cooking or housekeeping, mine is really more a collection of pieces of a life which I hope will be one well lived.

I enjoy commenters and making friends, so I hope you'll come along for the journey. Welcome!
-----
Because I had so much fun blo-hopping in the past, I'm also joining in with the Women Living Well bloghop here:

If you're visiting from WLW, I hope you enjoy it here and stay to read more!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks Amy for stopping by my blog from Esther's party. I'm now a new follower! I totally understand not posting many self pictures. I struggled with that in the beginning, as I'm a social worker with a criminal justice background and my husband is a former police officer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O man, the Lord is going to BLESS your sweet, surrendered heart!!! I will look forward to seeing it!! God bless you, Amy. Keep us posted on your journey - praying for ya, girl! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! It's great to continue to get to know you, Amy! Love :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,
    This was such a joy to read! To get to know you a little better--how fun:) Thanks for including the part about what you look like! It actually helps me a lot to picture a red-head from Virginia whenever I see your name now:) (I don't know that I remembered you're from VA--that is my favorite state, and if I ever had to move, I would want to move there. DC was such a great trip last year (exactly this time one year ago). I have enjoyed so much your visits over to my blog, and hope I get the opportunity to get to know you better over time.
    Thanks again for sharing! (I'm hoping to get involved in this blog hop:)
    Blessings,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you! God is so good to allow you to fulfill the desires of your heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading your blog so many thanks :). I love the variety of topics you cover, the books you review and your recipes.

    Keep it up:) and thank you for sharing a bit more about your self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started off blogging about the same thing. I thought I'd just write funny stories about my girls and motherhood - boy oh boy - God took ahold of my heart and gave me a desire to use it for His glory! Great meeting you and I'm def a fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I learned so many new things about you! :0) One of the reasons I LOVE this blog party.

    I love how honest you are about your home life struggling, while you work outside the home.
    I believe many woman need to hear such testimonies. This world believes we CAN have it all. When really, it's impossible. The LORD truly blesses a surrendered heart.

    Oh and...redheads unite! ;0)

    Much Love & Blessings,
    ESTHER
    www.oursimplecountrylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to meet you Amy. I'm a new Facebook follower and came over from Esther's blog party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings, Amy! I have only been to your sweet blog several times, but I am blessed each time. It is a good thing to meet other like-minded women out there. I am hosting an 'Encouraging One Another' link-up today at DeepRootsAtHome.com today, and I would like to ask you to kindly join us with an encouraging post you have written from the past. More sweet friends will get to meet you as you spread what the Lord is showing you! Have a blessed day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed your post! Blog hopping with Women Living Well! May God Bless you and your husband abundantly Amy, for following His lead and His heart......You won't be sorry for choosing to stay home. I wouldn't have it any other way! Although I know for many it's just not possible and I do understand....But I also believe if God calls you home He will surely provide the means and the way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to meet you! Being home is a rich, treasured experience. May you find it a calling and blessing.

    Lisa

    www.moretobe.com

    ReplyDelete