Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Cheesy Fish Chowder

This recipe was requested from me on Twitter, and I'm finally getting around to it! This is a delicious soup that I make whenever there's a good sale on fish at the market. Cod is especially good here. It makes a nice big pot of soup - probably serves about 4-5 comfortably. I forget where I originally got this recipe, but I've had it for years and it's delicious!

Cheesy Fish Chowder


2 T. olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 lbs. fresh fish (firm, white fish such as cod is best),
cut into bite-size chunks
3 cups chicken broth
garlic and salt to taste
dash of cayenne pepper
2 cans evaporated milk
3 T. cornstarch
2 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I use cheddar - sometimes I mix
in mozzarella if I have it)

1. Saute the veggies in olive oil.
2. Add fish and fold into the vegetables. Saute 1 minute and then add chicken broth, garlic, salt and cayenne. Bring to simmer for about 5 minutes.

3. Dissolve cornstarch into 1/2 can evaporated milk. Stir remaining milk into soup (I do this gradually and stop adding milk when mixture is creamy enough to suit our taste. The full amount of milk will be pretty rich.)
4. Simmer until soup thickens, and then put heat on low.
5. Stir in cheese over low heat until just melted. Serve with or without croutons.

Enjoy!


Also linked at Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits.

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of cheesy fish chowder. Sounds interesting. How often do you make it? How does it keep in the fridge/freezer, if at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fawn- I usually make it when there's a good sale on fish at the market here, so it gets into the rotation about once a month during fall and winter. I've never tried freezing it, but it usually refrigerates and reheats well.

    Jolouise - Thanks! We love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a big fish cooker....I love a mild white fish like tilapia. Would that work well? I am trying to experiment more. Thanks for sharing it on Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits. I hope you will come back this week.

    ReplyDelete