Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Comfort, Comfort Ye My People


Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
-Isaiah 40:1

Whenever I read those words, I can just feel the music of them. It's not the slow majesty of the Comfort Ye My People passage from Handel's Messiah. I love that work and will post parts of it later, but the music of this Bible passage that sings in my heart moves to the livelier tune of the 17th century hymn later translated by Catherine Winkworth. Some songs capture the deep and quiet hush of Advent. However, this one rings with the anticipation of God's promises and perhaps even the celebration of what we know He will do.

I couldn't find a good professional recording of this carol (very sad!), but I did like the joy in this church choir's rendition.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog post. I must say, great minds think alike! I was taken back when I read that you had posted about song as well! Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete