Friday, November 11, 2011

Expect the Unexpected

"Expect the unexpected." I've heard that said so many times. Growing up, I thought I had an expected path for my life. I grew up in a Christian home, trying(mostly) to honor my parents. I figured that I would go to college, marry a good Christian man, perhaps become a ministry wife of some sort, and raise a family.

And God showed me early that his path for me was an unexpected one. After 8 years of Spanish class, I followed Him into the refugee camps of Eastern Europe. Because all that Spanish would sure come in handy, right? From a human perspective, it made no sense, but it taught me to rely on God and His provision. And provide He did. My memories of that time are of being wholly out of my element and yet of learning skills and discovering gifts I never dreamed could lurk inside my shy, retiring self.

And God did have a good Christian man in mind for me. This child of missionaries is the love of my life and a godly husband, but we have far from a quiet life in ministry. He has a sometimes hair-raising job dealing with some very dark corners of life, and I've had to learn to manuever the alphabet soup of law and law enforcement. And God has again taken us to unexpected and beautiful places I never knew existed. I've travelled almost my entire state, met incredible people and gotten to see unexpected beauty in old fishing villages and fine mansions and ramshackle cabins high in the mountains.

In addition to living a bit of high adventure sometimes, God teaches me a greater lesson. We deserve none of these blessings He sends us, yet send them He does for He loves us. And viewed in that light, everything of life is unexpected - and for all of these unexpected blessings and gifts I am thankful. I could never have envisioned this life but neither would I trade it. I do not know what tomorrow will bring, but I know Who will be with me.

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."
- Psalm 23:4

----------
This was written in five minutes with no editing for Five Minute Fridays over at The Gypsy Mama.

7 comments:

  1. Beautifully written.

    In expecting the unexpected we find His treasures far beyond our expectations and our wildest dreams.

    Such truth unveiled here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your blog! Your writing, and heart. So happy I found you from 'The Gypsy Mama'!

    Now following your blog, and look forward to reading more from you!

    Blessings,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Sounds like you have had an interesting and adventurous life in ministry! My husband is a pastor so I know a little bit of what you talk about :) Thanks for reading mine and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God really does know the best path for our lives. He has so much beauty when He shows up unexpectedly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think my comment went through so I'm going to try again...in case it did, feel free to delete one of them.

    I haven't been to your blog in awhile and I just have to say you sure have things looking lovely. I love the soothing, clean look; it is very easy on the eyes.

    And thank you for the comment you left on my blog today, it brightened my day. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. His grace and mercies are new every morning--even in the unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful perspective! God's ways are certainly more exciting than we plan for ourselves sometimes! If we didn't realize that he's in control, and plans good for us, the ride would be terrifying.

    ReplyDelete