Friday, November 25, 2011

Grateful During the Hard Times


The past couple of days have been difficult and yet, when I think on them, the pain is tempered by love and gratitude. Doctors told us last night that my grandmother, who has walked 101 years on this earth, will very soon be leaving us to go home to the God that she has loved for so long. We got together with extended family from all over the state, and while it's been a very emotional time, we cannot help being grateful for all those wonderful memories.

I have strong memories of my grandmother from early childhood on. She loves to laugh, and does so often, finding delight in the world around here. And she is the one who taught me so many hymns, as they were often on her lips while working around the house. And as I sat at her bedside with family late into the night, I got to hear stories of her life from many years before, and it's a legacy of love, family, joy and life.

As I looked around the room last night, in the faces of my family, I saw my grandmother's love of books, her love of songs and singing, her wonderful cooking skills(she ran a cafe while my grandfather was away during WWII), her habit of being constantly in motion, and even her ready smile. But, most of all, through all of the stories, I saw someone who has walked constantly with her Lord. And even though this is a very difficult time, I am so grateful for all the time that I have been given with her.

-------------
This was written in five minutes with no editing for Five Minute Fridays over at The Gypsy Mama.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your memories of your grandmother. May you experience great peace as she passes from life into eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful memories you have of your grandmother. Even though we are always sad to loose a loved one, we need to be joyful as we will meet them again in heaven. The departure is only temporary.

    May the Lord be with you and your family at this time.

    In Gods precious Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How touching, Amy. And what wonderful memories you will cherish of your grandmother. Praying for strength for you and your family in the days to come.
    I am your newest follower and would love for you to stop by and visit me sometime. :)
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed—in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. --1 Corinthians 15:51-52

    I laid me down and slept. I awoke, for the Lord kept me. --Psalm 3:5


    He will transform the body of our humble condition into the likeness of His glorious body, by the power that enables Him to subject everything to Himself.--Philippians 3:21

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, thanks for sharing. I would love to see a photo of your Grandma. The way you described her makes her sound so special. How wonderful you have her legacy captured in your heart. You will do the same!

    ReplyDelete