Monday, November 28, 2011

O Come, O Come Emmanuel


The first time I heard the medieval carol, "O Come, O Come Emmanuel," I was riveted. The simple beauty of that melody cutting through the dark, quiet hush of evening service rendered me still and silent. The song's cry to God for Him to come and fulfill the promises of the prophets moves me every Advent season.

And then there was the first time I heard the song sung in Latin, as it probably would have been back in medieval times. The recording I heard was on a Mannheim Steamroller tape that my parents had. I think I played that thing until it was worn through. The artist's arrangement mixing modern elements with the somber echo of a choir makes me think on those times when we feel ourselves to be standing in the dark and longing for that Light. I was able to find the old Mannheim Steamroller version of "Veni, Veni Emmanuel" online, so here it is for you:

7 comments:

  1. Love this one, Amy. It is also one of my favorite Advent/ Christmas songs.

    Praising God with you today, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely blog! And such a great title. I'm working on making a joyful home as well. :) Thanks for stopping by my place. I'm following you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny that we both began by writing about a Christmas song we remember hearing for the first time.

    I love Christmas carols. And I love "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel." It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this Mannheim arrangement of this carol. It is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been checking out your About Me page and I've enjoyed some of the same books you've read. This is a great site . . . I'll be back to visit again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by, I have always loved this song but never heard it this way. I LOVE it even more now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love this song! And this is such a wonderful version of it. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete