Friday, November 18, 2011

Time, Like An Ever Rolling Stream

Giant Redwoods at Humboldt 2 Time and growth intertwine in my mind with a certain sense of inevitability. Time will roll on, no matter how we try to stop it. And we will grow. That growth may not always be in a positive direction, but it does happen.

God brings different people and circumstance into our lives, and my constant prayer is that I will learn what He is trying to teach me in every season and that I live my life for HIm as he would have me live it.

Looking at my teenage self, the smugness amazes me. If I had any clue what life across multiple countries, a marriage and many blessings and lessons from the Lord would teach me, I think humility would have come more naturally back in those days. It doesn't always come naturally now, but the more God shows me, the more childlike and awestruck I feel myself becoming.

There are areas of my life that need growth and I'm sure there will always be these, so long as I am visiting here on Earth. I only pray that this growth will be positive in the eyes of God and not too turned upon the standards of the world.
-----------
NOTE: You can find the hymn I reference in the title HERE. It's one of my favorites.
-----------
This was written in five minutes with no editing for Five Minute Fridays over at The Gypsy Mama.

4 comments:

  1. It doesn't always come naturally now, but the more God shows me, the more childlike and awestruck I feel myself becoming.

    So very true. Very. I too feel more awestruck the older I get.

    All thru Him
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five minute friday posts never cease to amaze me! Sometimes we can think our lives so dull, until we see it from another perspective. Or so great, until we become humbled by another's view. May we always have the ability to see through other's eyes and learn and grow and walk more humbly and gratefully down our life paths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered if you were referencing the hymn!

    I love the picture- it makes me think of Muir Woods, where we love to go. And I'm always amazed by the wonder of God's creation while there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I look back to my younger years, I am usually taken aback at my own pride!

    So thankful for the growing, and the humbling, that takes place over the years.

    Beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete