Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What Are You Passionate About?

I do some legal work for churches and special needs families, and I tutor from home, but primarily I am a keeper of the home. Like any other calling, support and friendship and learning new skills are important, so I enjoy reading homemaking blogs. I see a lot of wonderful ideas and encouragement there, but passion is not a homemaking word that comes up all that often.

And yet there are things I feel very passionate about, and I suspect you do as well. I'm passionate about my relationship with God, with a trust and a yearning and a love that runs deep even as my own sinful nature makes the path stupidly hard to walk sometimes. I'm passionately in love with my husband and I feel a deep passion for my calling to make a real home and haven for us, and to use that home as a ministry to others.

There are other causes that I feel passionate about supporting as well. I didn't seek them out, but somehow they found me, and as I learned more, they reached deep into my heart. As regular readers of this blog can probably guess, adoption is one of these causes. As an adoptee myself, adoption stories touch my heart and I am very supportive of those seeking to help children find home and family.

When I was fresh out of school, I pretty much fell into a job working with autistic and mentally handicapped young adults. Working with them and their families gave me a fresh perspective, and seeing how many challenges they face in building a life for themselves made me deeply supportive of these folks and their families. As a result, I find myself supporting(with time, prayer and money when I have it) local programs for the disabled as well as ministries such as Reece's Rainbow which helps special needs orphans find adoptive placements.

And then there are the unreached peoples of this world. I've long prayed for various unreached people groups, but when I read Radical this summer, that really caused me to take stock of my prayer life and to focus my efforts. Around the same time, I also learned of the work of The Seed Company's OneVerse project and I could feel God leading my heart toward this project's work.

OneVerse Blogger

I originally wrote about OneVerse because I wanted to enter a contest to go to a conference. I didn't win, but something much more important than a ticket came of that blog piece. As I combed my dictionaries and called up my various multilingual friends, I felt God moving in my heart. Not only will I never look at the Lord's Prayer the same way again, I will never be able to think about the 340 million who lack the ability to read the Bible in their own language without feeling called to do whatever little bit I can to help change that statistic.

And that's why, just as I sometimes speak up for adoption and special needs individuals on my blog, I can't help talking about people who have never had the chance to experience the Word of God. I also just might be giving some translated Bible verses to my family as Christmas presents.

I know that this time of year makes many of us think of others, and of the causes and ministries that God has laid upon our hearts. So, please tell me about it. What are you passionate about?

3 comments:

  1. Hmm. I am passionate about a lot of things, but being chronically ill really gets in the way of doing a whole lot about it. Sigh ..

    But when I do have the ability, I love to write what God has been doing in my heart. I love to send someone a hand written card. I love to make my husband feel loved. I love to spend time with a little one so that they feel loved and appreciated. I'm passionate about God's love, and showing that love to others. In a nutshell, that's it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, this is so interesting, because as you know I'm passionate about OneVerse (go figure!). And I'm also passionate about helping kids and adults who have autism. I have a daughter who has autism. I guess we share some common interests!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that God puts passion for something in our hearts. We are all made differently and we all have these fabulously unique personalities. Isn't that such a beautiful thing? And yet, I also believe from personal experience, that He will ignite passion within us for things of Him...of His will. I will check OneVerse out! Thank you for the 'introduction'. I have come to realise the incredible power in God's Word! Johanna...we have something in common as well...We are believing for healing for my little boy from autism. You are welcome to stop by and visit my blog!

    Blessings, Liezel

    ReplyDelete