Friday, November 4, 2011

What a Time That Was


"What a time that was!" Whenever these words came from my grandmother's mouth, we knew she had been somewhere worth remembering. Graduations, weddings, a long walk with her friend from across the street - these were all times to remember.

Even at age 100, with her memory starting to fail her, there are still times to savor. I had seen her starting to forget little things over the past year or so. And lately she has started to forget the bigger things and as she comes closer to the day when she will meet her beloved Lord, she needs more and more help with her daily tasks.

Recently she moved in with relatives and I went one day to take her to lunch. Given her frailty and her new tendency to forget a conversation partway through it, I didn't know how it would go. We had to move slowly, eat simpler things than usual and the mind that was once quick with family stories and wild tales needed for me to do more of the talking. Compared to days of hunting Easter eggs all over the farm, of huge extended family dinners with music playing far into the night or of looking over old photos and hearing tales of huge church picnics, river swims and nights spent on country porches listening to long-gone great great uncles playing music, we had a tame day. And yet when I took my grandmother home, she whispered faintly,

"Oh, what a time that was!"
-------------
This was written in five minutes with no editing for Five Minute Fridays over at The Gypsy Mama.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you are able to cherish the memories that your grandmother has shared with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husbands grandmother was like this, we loved hearing her stories even when her memory faded to the point where she told it over and over, or farther when she didn't tell them at all. Cherish those moments like you do so beautifully here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story. Grandmothers have a way of making you think about life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful story! You are very lucky to have a grandmother still with you! Both my grandmothers died when I was very young, and I have few memories of them. I do have a grandpa living today, he's 94 years old, and unfortunately doesn't know the Lord, and is very ornery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my what a touching story. makes me think of my grandmother she is getting up there in age (not 100 but still older) and this reminded me to just cherish who she is....for someday she won't be here with us...

    beautiful words written today

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful. Sadly I never knew my grandmothers, both died when my parents were young. I was always jealous of friends who had grandmothers as I really wanted one. A spinster aunt became our surrogate grandmother:). My grandfathers died when I was young, one was very bad tempered, but the other one was lovely.

    ReplyDelete