Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Chile Relleno Bake

I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas. We had a wonderful time of worship, time with family and some really good food. I'm still trying to think my way through it all. In the meantime, here is a really yummy recipe that is probably different than most people's Christmas dinners.

I love chiles relleno, but they can be a little fussy to make. Someone suggested chile relleno bake to me as an easy workaround, and so I went googling. There are recipes aplenty and they use all kinds of ingredients to come up with everything from peppery quiches to what looked like spicy bicuits of some sort. Most used whole canned chile peppers, but I ditched that right off the bat in favor of the pre-chopped. If I'm going to simplify a dish, I'm going wholeheartedly into it!

The recipe below uses the pre-chopped chili peppers along with my favorite cooking techniques mined from various entries on all kinds of different recipe sites (cooks.com, epicurious, etc...) We loved it here at home, and I hope you do, too!

Chile Relleno Bake

1/2 lb. hamburger
1/2 lb. pork sausage (I used maple bulk sausage from my local butcher)
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
2 (4 oz.) cans chopped green chile peppers (I used mild, but if you feel adventurous, go for jalapeno!)
2 cups shredded cheddar
4 eggs
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. salt
tabasco sauce to taste

1. Brown beef and sausage. Add onion and garlic, cooking until transparent.
2. If pan too oily, drain.
3. Line grased 9 X9 baking dish with one can drained chile peppers, and top with 1 1/2 cups cheese.
4. Add meat mixture, then top with remaining can of drained chile peppers.
5. Beat eggs and flour until smooth, add milk, salt and tabasco. Blend well and pour over casserole.
6. Bake 60 minutes at 350 uncovered. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese. For best results,let dish stand 3-5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Looks so good, Amy. We had a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds very good. It would make a great breakfast or dinner meal. Thanks for sharing... I will be trying it out on my family!
    God bless.
    (found you on the Raising Homemakers link up)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this, I love chile rellenos, but they are alot of trouble to make. I will give this a try for sure. Thanks for commenting on my blog, I would never have found this recipe on my own.

    ReplyDelete