Sunday, December 11, 2011

Creator of the Stars of Night

The old, traditional hymns of Advent are so beautiful in their own right. However, I also love seeing musicians breathing new life into these songs that have been handed down across the ages. "Creator of the Stars of Night" is a beautiful hymn that started life as "Conditor alme siderum" in the 7th century before being translated into English and it is still sung today in many churches. This modern version, performed by Alex Mejias and the High Street Hymns ministry, really touched me because something about Mejia's arrangement make this plea for the Savior to, "Come, oh come, to us," feel so very personal.

And when I saw that High Street Hymns is based in Charlottesville, Virginia, I had to smile. I grew up not too far from C-ville and I went to college there, so some of the greatest spiritual growth in my life took place in that part of the world.

2 comments:

  1. I found myself just closing my eyes and taking in the words of that beautiful song. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete