Saturday, December 3, 2011

From Handel's Messiah

I have been out of town for my grandmother's funeral, so I took a break from listening to the Advent music for a bit. Quite honestly, my heart just wasn't in it yesterday. However, I found myself thinking about Handel's Messiah today and I couldn't help pondering how perfectly the scriptures he chose for that piece match this season.

This aria, "The People That Walked in Darkness", not only reflects God's prophecy through Isaiah, but it is such a perfect commentary on our human condition before God sent His only Son into this world that we might be saved by faith. We did indeed walk in darkness and praise be to God that He has allowed us to see a great light in Jesus.

The people who walked in darkness
have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
on them has light shined.

Isaiah 9:2

2 comments:

  1. Howdy! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came to check it out. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Outstanding blog and wonderful design and style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother.

    It's true...Handel's Messiah is so annointed in Scriptural truths and concepts--a great and inspiring listen!

    ReplyDelete