Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Heart of the Home

Advent and Christmas have a warm coziness about them. Our traditions invite hospitality as well as quiet contemplation of all that the birth of Christ has meant. We can admire the warm and fuzzy decorations of the season or dig deeper, draw closer to God as we search Scripture and pray over the many miraculous aspects of this season.

As a keeper of the home, this season is taking on something new and very special to me as I focus on my homemaking. In working through my daily tasks, they are inbued with new significance. We decorate our home, bake sweet treats for guests, and reach out to others. I'm not really inclined to find my fulfillment in red and green knickknacks(nor are most people I know, for that matter), but there is something more going on here. All that I do from home does not simply make my house a fun, cozy place to be. The reason that my calling fulfills me is not because of the trappings of home, but rather because of the heart of this home.


This Advent season has shown me so much about how home acts as a witness and a ministry. I cannot go into someone's heart and create faith, but I can welcome them into my home, pray for them and point them in the direction of the One who might very well do these things in them. I cannot take away all the evils of the world and I will never be perfect myself, but I can set a tone in my house that shows another way.

As I prepare to celebrate the birth of our Savior, I also find myself feeling recharged as God shows me how this ministry of home can reach the hearts of guests and also of our own family. When my husband comes in from work, I can see him relax as he settles into a home that has been created to show warmth, love and faith. And as I bake, light candles, decorate, and pray, I see how home does not simply just happen. We as keepers of the home can set a tone for our families and create an environment that not only shows the world who we are, but also helps us remind each other of the One on whom we focus.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't wonderful to fulfill the calling that God has equipped you too? Thanks for your post today--it was a sweet encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Our homes can be environments where God is glorified and where others can come to know him through us. Great post! So glad I visited from WLW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your bog through Women Living Well, and it was a blessing for me to read today! I've never thought about my home as a witness and ministry, but you are completely right. It should be a place to encourage others in their quest to know the King. Thank you for sharing! I'm going to follow you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I love, love, love decorating my home (for all seasons) and making it a welcoming place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last paragraph was just wonderful, thank you.

    ReplyDelete