Monday, December 12, 2011

Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming


One thing that choosing music for my Songs of Advent series has done is to cause me to look more closely at the lyrics of some of the songs I find so beautiful. This medieval German carol brims over with references that tie the Old and New Testaments together. When reading about the genealogies of Christ, I immediately thought of this song because of the line, "Of Jesse's lineage coming." The lyrics also reference the prophecy of Christ's coming found in Isaiah, as well as elements of the Christmas story such as the virgin birth.

I've heard various arrangements of this song, but I think John Rutter and the Cambridge Singers do a simple and very pretty version. The person posting the video on YouTube has disabled embedding, but you can find the video HERE.

1 comment:

  1. I love this hymn! Thanks for reminding me about it. :)

    ReplyDelete