Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mary, Did You Know?

Since I've already uploaded a couple of songs that speak of Advent from Mary's point of view, I decided that I couldn't leave this one out. In addition to being musically beautiful, the lyrics of this song pack such a powerful punch. The song proclaims that, "the child that you've delivered, will soon deliver you," and a shiver goes down my spine. And when the song reaches a crescendo with the line, "This sleeping child you're holding is the great I Am," I just marvel at this great miracle. Unlike many Christmas carols, the lyrics of this one take us from Jesus as a baby in a manger all the way to his death upon the cross. And that makes it all the more powerful.

There are many, many great versions of this song out there, so I had a hard time deciding which one to use. This Kathy Mattea peformance from the 1990s is classic and I think she sings it beautifully. Embedding of the video has been disabled, so you'll have to click through the link to get to it. It's well worth a listen, though.

1 comment:

  1. I love this song and have not heard it yet this Christmas season. Thanks for the reminder of what makes it so special!

    ReplyDelete